Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #1 
Memphis

New fish owner - Newbie Questions

I got my first fish couple weeks ago, after ogling my brother's g/f betta fish since she first introduced me to hers. We went to Petsmart to pick up some fish for their fish aquarium. There sitting on a self near the aquariums where the Betta fish in their gross cups. I went through each cup to see what kind of colors they had. Sitting in the behind the others was Kratos. I begged my dad to take him home with me. Minutes later I was in the car with the cup contain Kratos in my hands.

Long story short. He lived in his 1/2 gallon tank until I recently upgraded to a 1 gallon fish bowl for now. I know some might think 1 gallon is small for a betta, but Kratos seems happy the way its. I am sure he will be ever more sowith a bigger tank, but right now I think I am going to stick with it for a while until I get use to having a fish. (I hope I didn't offend anyone saying that)

-> I kept his 1/2 gallon tank in case I might need it.

-> I do 50% water change mid week, and one full water changed at the end of the week. Is that ok?

-> I clean everything with hot water with no soap. I also cleaned his old tank with white vinegar which I read couple times on the net to use. And rinsed well with hot water.

-> I use Nutrafin Aqua+ with Stress Reduction water treatment (also can someone tell me how much to use on a one gallon tank. All of them say use 1tsp per 5 gallon)

-> I read that Betta loves variety so they don't get bored. I alternate with pellets and flakes that I crush to bit size peaces for him. Ironically, he likes the flakes over the pallets. And I have freeze dried bloodworms for a treat.

-> I got a thermometer for his tank which he did not like it being in his tank. but he got use to it.

-> I only have 2 fake plants, but I love to add some real plants if possible for being a small bowl. Anyone can give me pointers on plants that will work for a 1 gallon bowl, that would be great. Another question is rocks. Is it safe to add to a tank if its natural and boiled for hour or two to remove any bacteria etc?

Is it better to get a master kit that contains Ph, Nitrate, and Ammonia test, or is it cheaper to buy them individually?

And I know I'm going to get yelled at for not having a heater for my bowl, but can anyone recommend a good heater for a 1 gallon fish bowl? I seen couple at Petsmart, but the reviews got me weary on buying the product. I prefer to buy it at the store before waiting one to come in mail, and have some unexpected weather change. Right now during the day is warm for him, but the weather is changing and I hate to have no heater in the middle of snow or worse.

Oh and I covered the top with tulle and hold it in place with an elastic band and ribbon to prevent him jumping out of his bowl. I know it sounds tacky.

Other then buying Ph/Ammonia test and a heater, is there anything else I might need or tips/suggestions. I feel like I am doing something wrong :c

Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions.
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Well, if you cannot keep your fish in more than a galon tank then you're in the right track to keep his accomodations in optimal conditions.

Water changes are OK, not the best... for a 1 galon, I woiuld do 2 water changes a week. Because you're making so many water changes, you souldn't bother with a natural plant since the upkeep might become challenging.

To make your fishies home the best posible, you definitely need a heater. It's always best to go with one that will shut off automatically so the water doesn't overheat in smaller tanks. For that size tank, I would recommend this one: http://www.petco.com/product/114078/...t=OnSiteSearch
The 2-10 galon will work for you... I have one in the same size tank and it keeps my water at 78 degrees. It's not the ideal 80 but MUCH better than 40-50 degrees which is what room temp water is in my house.

There's no need to clean your tanks with Vinegar every time... just cleaning it with water is ok during water changes.

Don't spend money on a test kit. Those are use for monitoring water conditions on cycled tanks and you cannot cycle a 1 galon. Just stick with the water conditioner and frecuent water changes.

Don't have an answer for the amount of conditioner to use... try doing a search online.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #3 
Nickpearson1985

Most live plants will absorb ammonia. So adding the live plant should be a resounding yes. And something like Anacharis doesn't need much light so putting the bowl near a window should be fine. Throw a couple of Ghost shrimp in and you're good. And take ALL advise on this site with a grain of salt. (Yes including mine.) There's alot of tank Nazis about. Don't let anyone make you feel bad.
And vilmarisv is right about the test strips. Can't cycle a small bowl, so don't waste your money.

Last edited by Nickpearson1985; 11-05-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Nickpearson1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #4 
Memphis

Thank you for the info. I did read the stickies and disovered my half gallon was considered small for a Betta, that is the reason why I went out and got him the bowl.

My brother's g/f might go drop by her parents on Monday. I can ask her to pick me up an Anacharis plant, and a few Ghost Shrimp (out of curiousity. what is the max to have in a 1 gallon bowl) to eat Kratos left overs since he is a very messy eater, and in case he discovers the tast of tasty shrimp. Unfortunately I don't have Petco here, so I will be ordering it through Amazon. Just hope it doesn't takes too long getting here. Mean time I wrapped his bowl with a flannel sheet at night.

I seen some cute small decorations for fish bowls at the local petstore which I might get to add some hiding spots, but I don't want to clutter the bowl with that and the plant and bunch of shrimp. Is it ok to have them all?
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #5 
Nickpearson1985

I wouldn't get a pleco. They can get like 18in long. And for ghost shrimp, I would go with 3. 1 will probably get killed almost immediately lol. Always happens to mine. Even if they have just eaten. They look like food.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #6 
vilmarisv

I agree with the "tank Nazis" comment but... I would really reconsider adding any shrimp in there. One galon is small for one betta, heater, decorations, gravel plus 3 shrimp. It's not just the size but everything you're putting in there takes up space. You don't have a tank... you have a "bowl". There's no filtration therefore your water quality decreases quickly.
Also, making 2 full weekly water changes would be a challenge with the catching the shrimp and remove them from the bowl while you rinse everything down.
Try getting your fish pellets and feeding one at a time.. that way you won't have left over food.
Ultimately, you will do what you think is best but it's good that you take some things in consideration.
Best of luck.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #7 
Myates

Welcome to the site, and your 1 gallon can definitely be a great home.

You are on the right track with the water changes- as well as only using hot water. I can't tell you how much conditioner that is, but once you figure it out, make sure to dose the tank for the full 1 gallon for the partial water change.

You don't really need a testing kit since you will be doing frequent water changes. If there is ever a need to know if something is wrong with your water, Petsmart and Petco normally test your water for free.

With a heater you are looking at 5 watts per gallon, but sometimes the smaller watt ones can be tricky and not heat up properly. Look for one where you can change the temperature yourself, if not then I suggest a 15 watt and keep an eye on the temp to make sure it doesn't get too warm.

Most rocks should be safe- but not recommended to boil for that long as they have been known to "explode". I've only just soaked them for about 5 days myself to make sure all is out. Make sure they aren't anywhere where pesticide has been sprayed.

Java Fern, Java Moss, Naja Grass are great for small tanks as they require little light, no filter and no substrate- you may just have to weigh down the moss/grass with a rock or fasten it on something with a rubber band while it grows.

No one here will get upset at you for having a gallon tank, as many people here have them/had them. So please don't worry about anyone being upset at you, we love it when people understand what is needed and is trying, or asking so they can better their betta's home =)

Also, don't get ghost shrimp as mentioned above- unless your tank is filtered and they have aeration, which it doesn't mention you do. Even though their bio load is small, you don't have the proper aeration and temp to keep them healthy right now, and as with most bettas, they like to chomp on ghost shrimp unless there is many small places for them to hide which would be hard to do in a 1 gallon.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #8 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickpearson1985 View Post
. And take ALL advise on this site with a grain of salt. (Yes including mine.) There's alot of tank Nazis about. Don't let anyone make you feel bad.
Please refrain from talking about the members on this site in that manner- it is uncalled for. There are very few, if any, here who go by a minimum size rule for tank sizes, and it is very rude and improper to talk about them such as that. We have not had much drama here on the care/emergencies section, and we wish and ask that brand new members such as yourself, not start any up without proper knowledge and knowing the members here. Thank you.

Memphis- I hope you find out that we here are all very nice and helpful and we won't judge you, but rather help and chat =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #9 
Nickpearson1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Please refrain from talking about the members on this site in that manner- it is uncalled for. There are very few, if any, here who go by a minimum size rule for tank sizes, and it is very rude and improper to talk about them such as that. We have not had much drama here on the care/emergencies section, and we wish and ask that brand new members such as yourself, not start any up without proper knowledge and knowing the members here. Thank you.

Memphis- I hope you find out that we here are all very nice and helpful and we won't judge you, but rather help and chat =)
I'm not going to refrain from telling someone the truth. Don't be so sensitive.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #10 
Nickpearson1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post

Also, this has nothing to do with the OP's original questions. Keep it on subject as per the board rules please. If you have a problem with me then you're more than welcome to bring it up with me in a PM.