Housing
What size is your tank? 3.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 79-82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Betta Bits; Freeze-dried bloodworms once a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner
I first noticed my fish looked a little "different," maybe not bloated, about 3 weeks ago. About a week ago I could tell he was definitely bloated. I tried fasting him for the past 3 days, but he still looks the same.

He's still just as active as always, and his poop looks normal. He only poops once a week, but that's how it's always been. Yesterday his ventral and anal fins started trembling, and they're still doing it. What would be the best course of treatment?

chix0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You don't want to confuse Bloat with a normal full tummy and treat needlessly......with bloat you will also have other symptoms-like buoyancy issues, stops eating and pooping, hiding, lethargic, clamp fins...etc along with the enlarged stomach......

I would however, increase the water changes on the 3.5gal filtered tank to twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% with vacuum

Lovely fella by the way....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #3 
Myates

Handsome boy you have there..

*Edited since OFL beat me to it :)

You say you feed him twice a day, how much of the pellets are you feeding each meal? You may be slightly over feeding him, in which case he would have a larger stomach more often since he has extra to digest.
Also would suggest pre soaking the freeze dried blood worms prior to feeding him as they will expand inside of him and could cause him to bloat up.

Last edited by Myates; 11-07-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #4 
chix0r

I was feeding 2 pellets twice a day, but I wasn't sure if that was enough. I tried 3 pellets twice a day for a while, and since he was looking bloated I took it down to 5 total, and then the fasting.

I usually try to feed him around 7A and 7P. I go to bed and turn off the lights at 9 or 10P. I'm starting to work later now though, and I often don't get home until 10P. Would it maybe be better to feed him at 7A and 1P, since I won't be home between 1 and 10?

I'll increase water changes, too. I was thinking once a week would be good, but I don't want him to get sick.
chix0r is offline   Reply With Quote