Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Quick question about treating fin rot

I've been treating Sushi's fin rot since Tuesday with 100% water changes every day and 1tsp of aquarium salt per gallon. There has been improvement, but I can still see some black in a few spots. I've been told to only add AQ salt for the first few days, but I've also been told to use AQ salt the whole treatment.
So should I discontinue the AQ salt within a day or two? Also, how long does it usually take to knock fin rot out? His fins are looking a little better, but not tons.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Aquarium salt should only be used for about 10 days in a treatment-but it sounds more like you are doing baths/dips.....

Not all black fin tips mean rot or something bad....fin rot generally looks crusty and discolored-not curly...can you post a pic.....it may be normal pigment.....

Rot generally can be stopped with the proper treatment in 2-3 days if its minor-a bit longer if it is really bad or not treated soon enough.

Regrowth-usually will look white and/or clear and can take several days to be apparent and take weeks to months to fully re-grow-again this depends on several factors.....depending on how bad the damage-the fins may never return to their full glory or look the same.....

Proper nutrition and quality water are big factors in the healing/regrowth of fins....

Treatment are best done in a small QT container for more control of the environment and observation and use of premixed treatment water-this helps to provide correct dosage and ease of water changes....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #3 
freeflow246

Alright, I'll probably stop adding salt by tomorrow or the day after then. I've just been doing complete water changes every day and adding 1 tsp of AQ salt to the new water.
The black might be his coloring, but it has receded since I got him Tuesday, and there has been some fin regrowth, so I think that it's the rot. It had definitely started to do a number on him. I can see some regrowth; it's kinda clear and colorless.
He's in a 1 gallon tank right now. It's being kept around 80-82 degrees and I've been feeding him pellets and frozen bloodworms. As much as I can anyway; he's pretty small.
Here's a pic from the day I got him. I'll try to get a current pic tomorrow; it's kinda late over here and the lighting is super bad.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2011, 03:29 AM   #4 
Bellus Bellator

When using AQ salt for my boy BB's fin rot the salt stopped the progress of the fin rot but didn't improve the overall look of the fins,that only came later once he was back in his tank and 2 weeks on there's only the tiniest (and I mean tiny) spot of black left on his caudal fin.

His caudal fin and anal fin will never be perfect,the fin rot destroyed part of the fins and now the regrowth isn't smooth but a little bit wavy,like he's got curly hair On the plus side his ventral fins have grown almost an inch since I got him a month ago and they're so long now they're longer than his anal fin,and so beautiful and delicate.

Maybe stop on Tuesday(that's a week) but you could go till Friday. I wouldn't suggest doing 14 days,which if I understand correctly is the limit.I was worried that the fins didn't look vastly improved so I decided to do 14 days,My boy had a funny/frightening episode on day 13 and i'll never go over 10 days now.If the spread of rot has been stopped,then really clean water and a good diet should do the rest, at least it did for my boy.
Bellus Bellator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #5 
freeflow246

So I'm definitely stopping by Tuesday now. Probably by tomorrow. There's still not very good lighting for a pic, but there should be in an hour or so.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #6 
freeflow246

Here are some pics. He's kinda pale since I had just finished changing his water.
Continue the salt treatment or no?
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Are you sure he is not tail biting.......

I would keep him in Qt and start a clean water treatment once you stop the 10day salt treatment...if you have any tannins that will help him a lot too...either IAL or dried Oak leaf...

Clean water treatment-keep him in the 1gal-no filter or water movement-limited items in the tank-add tannins to stain the water amber and make 3 times weekly 50% water changes and 1-100% every 10 days for 20 days-using tannin stained like temp dechlorinated water, water temp 76-78F

Nutrition is really important for healing...a good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals....if you have access to mosquito larva offer some rinsed for one meal a day or a high protein food of some type.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #8 
freeflow246

He might be tail biting; he's being kept in my bathroom right now, and it's pretty dark in there. The times where Jalen was moved there he started tail biting.
I don't have tannins with me, but I'm sure I can find some. I am using stress coat as a water conditioner, though.
I've been feeding him bloodworms every three days or so, but I'll bump it up to every other day.