Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #1 
Shockadine

How many otos

I've heard a lot of different answers on this while trying to research it. I have a 10g with a betta. I plan to add maybe 20-30 shrimp in the near future. With that, how many otos can I keep? I've heard people say up to 4. I've heard others say a 10g is only big enough for one. I got 2 otos yesterday. How many total would I be safe housing in a 10g with my betta and a few shrimp? I don't want to overstock and I don't plan on keeping anything else until I upgrade my tank. I don't mind supplementing their food supply either. I know they like being in groups and I don't want them to be unhappy or stressed. I think they are pretty cute.
Shockadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

IMO-10gal tanks are not big enough to support a proper school of Otocinclus catfish long term....even though they are small fish-IMO 10gal just isn't big enough to meet their needs....they need a good amount of swimming space and tend to do better with more natural foods-granted a closed system will never support nutritional needs fully and they will need supplemented feeding-but these guys are active and need room-more space the better and the larger the school the better.....

They can be sensitive to water quality, medications, extremes and tend to do best in tanks that are mature and heavy planted with lots of water movement with temp in the mid/high 70'sF range.....

A really neat species to watch zipping all over the tank-chasing each other and spawning-however, it can be difficult to get eggs to hatch and fry to survive...

Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #3 
Shockadine

Thanks. I'll just stick with my 2 until I can upgrade my tank.
Shockadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #4 
aurasoulful

T_T Oh no, I have four in my 10 gal tank. I guess I goofed :(
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

4 in a 10 gallon isn't going to overstock you - they don't have a huge bioload - it's more about their activity level and the space in which they need to swim. A 10 isn't great long term because of it's small footprint.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #6 
TL1000RSquid

^^ what he said, also make sure they're getting food, they can't live off just the algae they clean up and they wont eat regular fish food, and most wont touch algae wafers either so its good to put some fresh veggies in the tank for them to munch on sometimes. In my experience they will all eat blanched zuchini and cucumbers slices, along with deskinned pea's, just don't leave the leftovers in the tank for more then a day.

Sorry if you already know all the above but alot of people just buy them put them in the tank and wonder why they're dead a few weeks later.
TL1000RSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

He's a she. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #8 
heathbar

Otto's are also schooling/shoaling fish so make sure to get more then one. A group of three or more is preferred.
heathbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #9 
aurasoulful

I'll be sure to get some zucchini then. :D
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #10 
curiousburke

I've heard/read many times how frail Otos are, but I have experienced just the opposite. I sent one into my filter and it survived. I also just lost almost my whole tank to a watter change mishap but not a single oto died. I've only ever lost an oto when it latched onto my net and I didn't notice. He didnt last a week out of the tank; they defiantly need water! Our water is very soft, maybe that's the key
Posted via Mobile Device

p.s.
Im no expert and I have lost a lost of different types of fish, but not Otos

Last edited by curiousburke; 11-08-2011 at 03:21 PM.
curiousburke is offline   Reply With Quote