Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #31 
Pitluvs

I personally believe the difference between breeder and pet owner and tank sizes is self explanatory. Breeders do this as a job, which means they spend at least 8h a day with their fish. It's their bread and butter. Pet owners have other jobs and life, that 8h a day is not spent with their fish. That's just Tue way I see it. If I could spend 8h a day tending to my fish, I'd have smaller tanks and more fish. But I have kids and a life I tend to, so my guys get larger spaces. I don't have the time to do water changes ever day. Also, breeder fish don't spend their lives in these systems, they go to homes. I know our local breeder has a betta wall that is divided 5g for her males, I think there is 20 tanks? She also has 60g+ grow outs. The males are housed in beanie baby jars until they go to their forever home.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #32 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I personally believe the difference between breeder and pet owner and tank sizes is self explanatory. Breeders do this as a job, which means they spend at least 8h a day with their fish. It's their bread and butter. Pet owners have other jobs and life, that 8h a day is not spent with their fish. That's just Tue way I see it. If I could spend 8h a day tending to my fish, I'd have smaller tanks and more fish. But I have kids and a life I tend to, so my guys get larger spaces. I don't have the time to do water changes ever day. Also, breeder fish don't spend their lives in these systems, they go to homes. I know our local breeder has a betta wall that is divided 5g for her males, I think there is 20 tanks? She also has 60g+ grow outs. The males are housed in beanie baby jars until they go to their forever home.
I totally agree. XD

It was much easier for me to keep up with my water changing schdule for my 1 gallon set up when I was in college. Now that I have a 8AM-4PM job, I lose a lot of my fish care time. If all I had to do with my life was care for fish, I would have 200 fish in 0.25 gallon cups by preforming 100% water changes twice a day. But fish aren't my source of income, so I have 2 bettas in seperate 5 gallon cycled tanks that need very little maintance. The less time you have to be elbow deep in a tank, the bigger your tank should be, imo. Well, within reason of course. I wouldn't go so big as 55 gallons per fish.

But I do miss the free time I had in college. I would love to have nothing better to do at 3:46PM than to chill in a dorm room and partial water change fish tanks. Their tanks would sparkle...algae would be nothing more than a faint memory....*continues day dreaming* X3
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #33 
ShyDog

Can I have your college experience? I lol'd a little at this, (not in the negative way) but this is the exact reason I upped my tank to a 10 gallon, I have absolutely no time in college full course load, relatively full time job (part time on paper, full time hours). Ofcorce not everyone had(has) this type of work load but I'm going to join you in dreaming about free time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
:

But I do miss the free time I had in college. I would love to have nothing better to do at 3:46PM than to chill in a dorm room and partial water change fish tanks. Their tanks would sparkle...algae would be nothing more than a faint memory....*continues day dreaming* X3
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #34 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
The less time you have to be elbow deep in a tank, the bigger your tank should be, imo.
cheers!! =D this is what should be posted on every "tank size" debate thread =D !!
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote