Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #21 
GreenTea

I have imported a bunch of fish as well as spent more time reading on this forum. I talk to several Thai breeders on an almost daily basis. Your number of 80% is not correct.

I think after the person reads all those policies because they will have to/use common sense to figure out there are some risks with shipping fish in a box across the world. Jennifer is my trans-shipper, and even her thing says they "sometimes" bite their tails. The "bad" is if a fish is DOA and unless you use priority you are reimbursed. Long finned bettas bite their tails even in homes and tanks, not just shipping, and they grow back. I'm not really sure why you keep hammering on this.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #22 
purplemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
i don't know of any petstores or LFS here that get shipments from thailand .. local breeders are a lot more efficient and cheeper
Actually for stores wholesalers are the cheapest route. Most american wholesalers get their bettas directly from Thailand(they'll buy 500 mixed bettas for insanely cheap, but it guarantees the thailand breeder gets money for fish that might not have sold otherwise) as well as from some breeders in America, but there aren't many breeders in the US creating the huge amount of fish needed to supply all the pet stores. So big box places buy from wholesalers or (like my lfs) get them wholesale directly from thailand. I'm sure some get them from local breeders, but there aren't many that are as efficient as getting directly from there!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #23 
GreenTea

I've redirected my comments to OP each time I've posted. Happy shopping OP! If you have any questions or are interested in hmpks I have some discounts available.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 11-08-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #24 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
I have imported a bunch of fish as well as spent more time reading on this forum. I talk to several Thai breeders on an almost daily basis. Your number of 80% is not correct.

I think after the person reads all those policies because they will have to/use common sense to figure out there are some risks with shipping fish in a box across the world. Jennifer is my trans-shipper, and even her thing says they "sometimes" bite their tails. The "bad" is if a fish is DOA and unless you use priority you are reimbursed. Long finned bettas bite their tails even in homes and tanks, not just shipping, and they grow back. I'm not really sure why you keep hammering on this.
just because someone reads policies doesn't mean they will attach common sense to anything .. it's what we hope people will put 2 and 2 together since risks are something no one likes to talk about or post about or warn about because they usually have a negative aura about them .. (this is case and point) .. and it's unfair for you to encourage the op .. while only stating the good points and not stating any of the risks involved .. so i posted information regarding the risks and i get my head chewed off by you

i'm not hammering at all about this is the 2nd thread your jumping down my throat regarding posts i've made .. please stop .. it's un-necessary and are not helpful to anyone .. all i've done is posted the risks and my experience .. there is no such thing as a wrong experience but from the way that you are reacting and implying your experiences is the only one that matters and you'll discredit anyone else that doesn't share the same experience as you? please just put me on your ignore list .. and i will do the same .. i'm tired of this

i'm not here to encourage or discourage anyone from buying thai fish from aqua bid .. i'm just stating the risks .. these risks are facts .. as they should be known so there's no surprises if and when it happens

and yes their fins do grow back if they bite during transit .. but they will not grow back to the same edging .. shape .. and lines and rays .. as they were when pictured .. and i'm not just talking about fin bitting .. they can become pale and lethargic during transit and I include those symptoms in my 80% which is what i said

"80% of bettas that are shipped from thailand will tailbite in transit and they arrive pale" <-- or did u choose not to read that part into the statement?

and yes .. you are reimbursed on DOA .. but guess who is paying for shipping of that 2nd replacement fish? and you are not reimbersed on shipping for your first fish (and lets face it .. shipping is not cheep) ..
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #25 
GreenTea

...?

I have said there are risks with shipping fish across the world and that the trans-shippers each have their own policies which the individual buyer will learn about. It is expensive, I have had I think 6 total DOA fish I've had to replace. OP asked for info about AB so I explained how it worked, and I'm not saying my experiences are the only ones that matter, just that not 80% of fish tailbite during shipping, I don't want OP to be freaked out. Similarly, the pale-ness and lethargy goes away very quickly. It's not permanent at all. It's similar to when fish go pale during a car ride or water change. And yes, I have read that statement, as Jennifer is the trans-shipper I use. I told the OP what happens if everything goes smoothly, which is usually does. I have been very unfortunate to have to replace fish. Have you imported fish?

I truly don't know what you're on about. I have nothing against you and am not jumping down your throat or chewing your head off? I have also posted compliments and added to lots of your threads. Just because we disagree occasionally doesn't mean I'm attacking you or we have to ignore one another, I'm sorry you feel that way. That's a personal choice but you're creating a personal issue where there really isn't one. If you have a personal problem with me I suggest you PM me to talk or discuss it with a mod.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #26 
dramaqueen
Banned

There are risks shipping fish anywhere. I got 2 fish last March from 1fish2fish and they were a bit pale from their trip and Echo had a very light stress stripe but once they were acclimated and given time to settle down they were fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote