Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #11 
Narissa1985

I live in a tiny town on the west coast of Tasmania and the nearest pet store is 2 hours away :( i have made arrangements with another fish owner to take the little white clouds who also has them :)
Narissa1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #12 
diablo13

Then a 7 gallon should be fine :) if you want, you could maybe have a Nerite Snail With him. Sorry if this is stupid, but I always forget.....Tasmania doesn't have Tasmanian Devils, right? Or does it? Confused....
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #13 
Narissa1985

yep we sure do have Tassie Devils :) just not the Tiger anymore it is extinct! but the poor Devils have these horrific face tumours :( and are really in bad shape :( although on the west coast of Tassie where i live the population has stayed clean and not infected with the tumours fingers crossed it stays that way :) what sort of plant's will suit my betta when i get the new tank? and also i read something about quarantining the plants, what is that about? Also are fake once better or the real? and will he like a hiddie hole to rest in? i have seen him lounging on the fake plant he has in his tank resting, so thought maybe i should find something for him to hide in :) i have a fresh water creek out the back of my home if i got some rocks out and scrubbed them up would they be suitable? Sorry I'm full of questions today just want to make his home happy for him :)
Old 11-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #14 
diablo13

Aw, I heard about the Face Tumors :( aren't they planning to breed ones free of disease, and then after the disease dies out introducing them? They type of plants depends on what Kind of lighting you have. Quarentining plants is so they don't carry snails, and they usually carry Hermaphroditic Snails, they can breed with themselves. 1 turns into 300. I like real plants, but they're really a pain so I'd reccomend Silk Plants. Yes, he will like a hide spot :) the rocks might work, but after scrubbing put them in some vinegar, If they start bubbling don't use them, it will alter the Water Chemistry.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #15 
Narissa1985

oh thanx sooo much :) yes they will reintroduce the devils back into the wild once it has died out :)
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

If you want some really nice silk plants, but can't get to a petshop, check out Acumen Aquatics on facebook (or join www.fishlore.com and PM Lea). The lady who runs it lives on mainland Australia (hello from there from me too, by the way!) and ships to Tassie. :) They are completely betta safe and look really nice, much better than most plants you'll see in petshops.
You probably won't be able to find a nerite - the only ones we can usually get in Australia are Mystery, Ramshorn and sometimes Malaysian Trumpet, none of which I would recommend. If you can get ghost shrimp, though, they might make some nifty tankmates. :)
Does Tasmania have a version of allclassifieds, like we have in NSW/ACT? If so, that's always a good place to pick up some cheap fish, tanks and accessories. :) Also, if you have a local aquarium society, I suggest joining. Again, cheap stuff, plus heaps of knowledge and experience. :)

P.S - Diablo: if someone is speaking in litres, there's a good chance they aren't in the USA, so they probably won't have a Petco. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #17 
diablo13

I guess the litre thing makes sense, but just making sure.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #18 
Narissa1985

thanx bombalurina i will check out the site :)