Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Separating MJ - the BIG fry!

So, Madame and Maine did wonders and now healthy orphan babies are in my care! I noticed MJ (Madame Junior OR Maine Junior - whichever gender :) ) hogs a lot of the food resulting in some weaker smaller ones to die. But since he/she has eaten a lot I believe MJ may have SBD, that little piggy! I took MJ out, and put he/she in a itty bitty "bowl" I used to use to transport small container bettas when doing water changes. I have heard of bettas getting depressed if separated including by sight so I put that bowl in the bin I have the others in.

First I want to say the two other bigger fry (smaller than MJ though) cannot figure out why MJ has a mysterious forcefield, and they've tried rammig through x.x lol.
I've started MJ on epsom to clear him/her out :) but since they are 5 weeks now, think it'd be okay to remove MJ permanently? Otherwise SBD will be constant! How do you separate fry without causing a downwards spiral, having them depressed?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #2 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
So, Madame and Maine did wonders and now healthy orphan babies are in my care! I noticed MJ (Madame Junior OR Maine Junior - whichever gender :) ) hogs a lot of the food resulting in some weaker smaller ones to die. But since he/she has eaten a lot I believe MJ may have SBD, that little piggy! I took MJ out, and put he/she in a itty bitty "bowl" I used to use to transport small container bettas when doing water changes. I have heard of bettas getting depressed if separated including by sight so I put that bowl in the bin I have the others in.

First I want to say the two other bigger fry (smaller than MJ though) cannot figure out why MJ has a mysterious forcefield, and they've tried rammig through x.x lol.
I've started MJ on epsom to clear him/her out :) but since they are 5 weeks now, think it'd be okay to remove MJ permanently? Otherwise SBD will be constant! How do you separate fry without causing a downwards spiral, having them depressed?
I put mine in clear jars next to each other. I have noticed that if I pull them alone they get sad but if I pull them two at a time they will "flirt" with each other and keep themselves occupied. I also throw in a little bit of java fern and an oak leaf for tannin's. Hope that helps
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas Rule View Post
I put mine in clear jars next to each other. I have noticed that if I pull them alone they get sad but if I pull them two at a time they will "flirt" with each other and keep themselves occupied. I also throw in a little bit of java fern and an oak leaf for tannin's. Hope that helps

Cool :) I'm thinking I may put MJ and his/her two buddies (the slightly smaller ones) together and leave the smaller fry together. Then everyone is okay? MJ has stress stripes being not in physical contact with his/her siblings o.O and the two big fry refuse to leave his/her side. Cute, I will admit :)
Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #4 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Cool :) I'm thinking I may put MJ and his/her two buddies (the slightly smaller ones) together and leave the smaller fry together. Then everyone is okay? MJ has stress stripes being not in physical contact with his/her siblings o.O and the two big fry refuse to leave his/her side. Cute, I will admit :)
Yea I separated two fry once and they stayed side by side against the glass for two days so I just put them back in the big tank. Funny thing is now they all get along LOL. Seems they don't like "time out "
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I know right?? lol. Well, little MJ seems to be feeling better and no more stress stripes. Today I am going out so I am going to look for a small tank or big enough container to house the three piggies :) that way I can monitor how much they feed! Compared to the little guys... I got 7 left in total, thanks to MJ eating all the food and some dying off (survival of the fittest?) which to me is just fine... Next time I breed I'm doing a lot different :) including hoping the dad can stay with the fry like Maine did..