Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #1 
KirstyTat

New Tank - Weird smell?

I set up my new Aqueon 2.5 gallon tank today. The heater and filter are on. Shortly after I got everything set up I started to notice a weird musty/rotten egg smell. Could it just be from the gravel? I added water conditioner/dechlorinator, but the other tank I have doesn't smell like this at all. Could there be something wrong? I rinsed everything with warm water a few times.

Last edited by KirstyTat; 11-09-2011 at 08:41 PM.
KirstyTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

I suggest checking the heater to make sure it's working properly and isn't broken in some way.

I read somewhere of someone's heater shattering in the tank and it smelled like burned rubber, so this may be a more mild version.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #3 
KirstyTat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
I suggest checking the heater to make sure it's working properly and isn't broken in some way.

I read somewhere of someone's heater shattering in the tank and it smelled like burned rubber, so this may be a more mild version.

The heater seems to be working okay. I didn't notice any cracks in the glass or anything either. The only thing I notice is that the top is very slightly crooked. It's very hard to tell though.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

I would watch it closely and be prepared to take any fish you have in the tank out. I had a run in with a faulty heater and it nearly killed my favorite betta once and almost did the same after heavy rinsing and soaking.

I don't think the gravel would cause a rotten egg smell of it's new and you rinsed it before adding. I've never gotten a rotten egg smell from any of my gravel, new or used.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post

I don't think the gravel would cause a rotten egg smell of it's new and you rinsed it before adding. I've never gotten a rotten egg smell from any of my gravel, new or used.
The nasty tanks my roommates have smell like rotten eggs after a week of not being cleaned (they would go longer if I didn't do it myself after that amount of time). That is the only time I have ever had that nasty smell in a tank.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #6 
nel3

the rotten egg smell is most likely from the heater, my 2 heaters still do smell a bit but not as strong as when they were first plugged in. not too sure on additional advice regarding a crooked heater top.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #7 
omgitslph

Did you just buy the heater today? Most boxes say to leave the heater in the water and not plugged in for 24 hour. That could be the reason. I always do the 24 hour rule when putting heaters that haven't been used in awhile back into a tank.
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #8 
KirstyTat

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitslph View Post
Did you just buy the heater today? Most boxes say to leave the heater in the water and not plugged in for 24 hour. That could be the reason. I always do the 24 hour rule when putting heaters that haven't been used in awhile back into a tank.
Thank you for the advice everyone. :)

Yes I just bought the heater today. The instructions said to wait 30 minutes after putting it in the water to turn it on.

I am testing it right now to see if it is the heater producing the smell.

Now that I have replaced the water and taken the filter away from everything, the only thing that still seems to have that smell is the filter. Maybe I'm just worrying too much? Do filters usually have slightly odd smells?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #9 
KirstyTat

I left the heater in the tank overnight without the filter and it doesn't seem to smell weird like before. The filter must be what made it like that. Should I put the filter back in since I'm guessing it might be how it's supposed to smell..?
I also noticed little bubbles all over everything and in lines across the tank. Is this normal?
Attached Images

Last edited by KirstyTat; 11-10-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #10 
Brian10962001

That's your water out gasing, you should let all Betta water sit out for 24 hours before you place it in the tank. I keep a two gallon, 2 one gallon, and a half gallon container on hand at all times full of water.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new tank, smell, tank