Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Watching my bettas after placing their tanks next to each other....

So I have Jalen in a 2.5 gal on my bedside table, and I've been keeping Sushi in a 1 gal in my bathroom while I treat his fin rot. He looked like he was starting to tail bite out of boredom, so I put his tank next to Jalen's (a tight squeeze) to see if another betta would distract him. I put a book between the tanks and left them about a 1 inch 'window' to see each other through.
Sushi, who's just barely more than half of Jalen's size, is pacing the side of the tank closest to Jalen, and flares up a storm whenever he sees him. Jalen puffed up at Sushi a bit at first, but now completely ignores him. Right now he's resting on the bottom right in front of Sushi, who's going crazy. Jalen is definitely watching him, but not moving a muscle. Almost like he's taunting the little guy....
So funny how bettas really do have their own personalities.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

It is funny. When I first put my 2 boys in their divided tank, Smaug (old red fish in siggy), and Kamehameha (blue fish) in the same tank, Smaug had a fit. He would build giant bubble nests and pace the divider to show Kamehameha who was boss. Kamehameha would completely ignore him. He would flare very rarely, and was much more interested in exploring. This went on for about 1-2 months. Then, it seemed as though Kamehameha had, uh, matured. He was all about showing Smaug how bad he can be too. He flared almost constantly for about another month. I wondered where my sweet little boy had gone. :( Now, they both seem pretty chill with each other. Yes, they still flare a few times a day, but they also do their own thing and don't worry about what the other one is doing so much.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #3 
BellasMomma

seems to me that sushi doesn't like his new neighbor just yet and is considering moving back to his old hood....
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #4 
freeflow246

They both pretty much ignore each other now. I guess bettas eventually get used to each other; like the ones in pet stores.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote