Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Does it smell like rotten eggs...if so, the tank may have went anaerobic...is the male okay....

Good that she is better...what do you mean by weird?

Nice find on the bulbs....good price since they need changed every 12 months

What is the pH of both the tank and the source water (without additives on the source water) with the API liquid reagent test and results for all the prams for both the tanks and source water to compare

Are you using anything to change the pH...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #12 
flowerslegacy

Hi OFL,

Neither tank smells like rotten eggs (thank goodness!) The boys tank had a slight sharp ammonia smell, like dead plants, last night. However, this morning I can't smell it at all. Their tank is almost completely void of plants now with the exception of two anubias that appear to be doing well. The girls tank doesn't have a smell either. Their plants look good, with the exception of the green hair algea that just started taking over the wisteria. I have an eye on it because I'm pulling the plants as soon as they start to deteriorate. I pulled them out at the last water change and tried to remove as much of the algea as possible, but it's back again. In regards to my female, she's much better, even between this morning to this afternoon. This morning she was still up at the water line, not moving. Then she went under her log and sat there for quite a while. But now she's up at the front, being curious and acting normal! She also pooped so I don't know if this had anything to do with it. This is the best she has behaved since all this started. I'm very relieved.

To answer your questions, I've listed the params below for both tanks. Also, I do not use any chemical additives to change the pH. I never have. However, I do use IAL periodically. Not for any specific reason, just to provide the males a place to blow bubbles, or for the females to have an added cover or lean to. I leave them in for either one or two weeks, depending on how well they're holding up. Perhaps I should stop using it all together?

1) Girls Tank -
pH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10ppm

2) Males tank
pH - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10ppm

3) Source water (tap)
pH - 8.2
Ammonia - .50ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

I use Prime as my water conditioner and I do a 50% weekly w/c in all my divided 10gals. Thank you very much for all your help.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and make your regular water changes weekly like you have been since you removed the dead/dying plants......this week start with 25% with light vacuum and next week back on the 50%...Dose the Prime for the full volume of the tank even with the partial changes and I am sure you do this already...but try to match the temp as best you can too...

Good that you are not adding anything to change the pH and the IAL is fine.

Once you get the new bulbs and get the systems balanced the algae should start to decrease.

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #14 
flowerslegacy

Thank you OFL!! Today is my water change day so I'll follow your instructions. The green hair algea has now appeared on all my wonderful, healthy plants in the girls tank. My bulbs have not arrived yet so I'm going to try and remove as much of the algea as possible and see if I can save them. If you advise anything different, I'll do it. If it means I have to remove them, I will. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote