Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #11 
Bombalurina

Hi Miish, I'm glad to hear he seems to be improving. I just want to mention that your tank looks like one of the Marina Zen tanks to me. http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Betta-P.../dp/B001B5CQ8W
If so, it isn't 2.5 gallons, it's only 0.5 of a gallon. If that's the case, more water changes are going to be necessary. Until you can get a larger tank, a Kritter Keeper or even a plastic storage bin (a couple of dollars at thrift shops for a 3 gallon) would make a great temporary home. :)

Do you have a hot tap? If so, run the new water for his tank warm. Don't bother letting it sit a few days. The Nutrafin stuff, if it is a water conditioner, will remove the chlorine, and letting it sit isn't doing anything.

When you have the funds, I strongly suggest getting hold of a really good conditioner. Prime is my favourite, but many members here also like StressCoat. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #12 
miish

Omgoodness you're right I read the box wrong.. I wonder where I got 2.5 gallons from. I looked at it again and its 0.8 gallons. I guess I read the liters at first! But that still isn't 2.5 LOL. How embarrassing! Is my heater going to make the water to hot then? Its meant for tanks up to 4 gallons (17watt) There was a smaller one meant for smaller tanks. I could still return it?
So how many water changed would you recommend? More than twice a week? Would they be 100% or less?

So if I run warm water and use conditioner I can put the water straight into the tank?
miish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #13 
Myates

That actually looks like This half gallon tank- I recognize the background and the top view the front and back are too narrow for a 2 gallon.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #14 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Hi Miish, I'm glad to hear he seems to be improving. I just want to mention that your tank looks like one of the Marina Zen tanks to me. http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Betta-P.../dp/B001B5CQ8W
Woops sorry! I should of finished reading everything lol.. told ya, can't eat and type/read at the same time :P
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #15 
miish

Haha thats okay :)
Do you think my new heater may make the tank to hot now?

Last edited by miish; 11-13-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

I equalize my water temp at the tap-I hold my digital thermometer under the running water until it reaches the temp I need-fill my bucket-add the dechlorinator and use right away....you don't have to age the water-but do agitate the water to help degas it-especially with 100% water changes.....

Monitor the temp with a thermometer to check if the heater is working properly.....

In a half gallon-make 3 weekly water changes-2-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality

Good to hear he is perking up....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-14-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #17 
miish

Thank you!
Yeah I'm glad he is too! He spent all day yesterday swimming/floating near the heater. He only went to the bottom to rest a few times. :)
Old 11-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #18 
mjoy79

If you have access to a Petco or Petsmart - they sell 2 gallon kritterkeepers for probably cheaper than you paid for that .8 gallon tank (I had that tank once upon a time as well). You can safely heat his water in a 2 Gallon and he has room to explore and swim :) Good luck!

Edit to add: the Large kritter keepr is about $7 and the X-Large (which i believe is 2 gallons) is $12

Last edited by mjoy79; 11-14-2011 at 10:58 AM.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #19 
Luimeril

it'd still be best to get him a larger tanks. i've always been told that anything under a gallon is too hard to keep at a stable temp, even with a heater. you can pick up 2 gallon Kritter Keepers at pet stores in the rodent department for cheap, around $10-$12 get the larger one, but not the biggest they have. not the prettiest home, but it does it's job. four of my seven fish are in them, and i adore them. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #20 
miish

Thanks for your help guys!
Here's some updates on how he's doing~
I added a heater and he's swimming around a little more than he used to. Although he still likes to spend a lot of time at the bottom of the tank, is this normal? The heater should be keeping the water at 78 degrees. I also added a plant to the tank :) he explored it for a little bit then got bored I guess and went back to the bottom.
So basically he's a little bit more active but still spends a decent amount of time at the bottom, and his fins are still curled, they show no changes.
Here are some pictures!
He still sits at the bottom

Here he is moving around a little bit :]

and here he is exploring the new plant

Tags
curled, fins, sick