Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #1 
Alex09

My planted tanks -- pics (UPDATE)

Been away for a while. School is keeping me very busy (university student) and I just havent had time to be around. Thought I'd share an update of my tanks - people here always complimented me on them lol. I currently have 2 tanks. A 5 gallon NPT and a 28 gallon riparium.

5 Gallon
Flora:
- Crypts
- Trident leaf Java fern
- Red Ludwigia
- Hygro

Fauna:
- 1 Betta
- around 15 Red Cherry shrimp
- Some kind of snails... offspring of a lone snail that came with a plant... havent done any damage to the plants so I'm not worried.

Tank is soil based. About 1.5 inch of Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil capped with an inch of gravel. Crypts love it and are growing quite rapidly. In 2 months they have grown so much faster than they ever did in the 6-8 months that they were in the other tank which is just regular gravel. Has a small clear nano filter which is much less obtrusive and much more pleasing to the eye that the black one. Gets a water change every other week. Just added shrimp like a month ago. Bought them online at a great deal. They have done well and are quite fascinating to watch. The betta has shown no animosity towards them so far. They have grown and achieved nice coloration. Hopefully they will breed soon.

2 Months ago:

Now:

28 Gallon Riparium
Flora:
Above the waterline: Peace Lily, Diffenbachia, Arrowhead Plant, Lucky Bamboo, and some kind of grass...
Aquatic: Anubias & Java Fern

Fauna:
- 5 Platies
- More snails & shrimp
- Cories

Last edited by Alex09; 11-13-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #2 
TequilatheBetta

Wow :D looks great! Amazing job
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Let me be the first to drool over your tanks. STUNNING!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Blast, wasn't the first. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #5 
Migraine

Gorgeous! :O
What's a riparium? Is it solely for the purpose of planting... plants? Sorry for the ridiculous question.
Migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #6 
heathbar

Both tanks looks great and very natural. I really like the riptarium, I hope to have one of my own some day.
heathbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #7 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migraine View Post
Gorgeous! :O
What's a riparium? Is it solely for the purpose of planting... plants? Sorry for the ridiculous question.
A riparium is a partially filled aquarium with planters attached to back wall at water level. Planters are filled with gravel. They are not solid in construction but have holes to allow water flow and so the roots can grow out and into the water --I used shower caddies. It creates an illusion of land and makes it seem like a riverbank… you should google image "riparium" there are some stunning ones…
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote