Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no, the water stays between 76 and 80
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? one ghost shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? frozen blood worms and brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? once every two days

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? the top part of his tail seems to be eating away
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is still very active but seems to lack as much energy as the other fish
When did you start noticing the symptoms? i thought he appeared to have some fin rot when he was first sick (see thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82812) because his bottom fin seemed to be eaten away at but it wasn't showing black edges so i thought it wasn't. but now after being away from home for a week on vacation when i returned i saw his tail had drastically lost finnage and the edges were black even though you can't really see in the picture. I think its because of the flash.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He was near death when I took him in from my boyfriend's house (http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82812)
How old is your fish (approximately)? maybe 6 months or older i'm not sure

jindoluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #2 
tf1265

Fin rot is usually caused by poor water conditions. In an unfiltered tank, you'll want to perform 100% water changes at least once a month, no matter the size. Do you have a gravel vaccuum? That can really help keep the water clean as you can suck up all the crap that sinks to the bottom.

You can try medications to help, but it's often easier and less stressful to use natural remedies. Keep the water extremely clean. Do 50% water changes daily or every other day until it clears up. Add 1tsp/gallon of aquarium salt (or non-iodized salt) to his water to help keep his tail clean and keep the fin rot from spreading.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #3 
mjoy79

It appears to be tail biting rather than finrot. I actually own 4 tailbiters. I have noticed that certain things trigger that in them. Stress is the biggest one. I have a guy that looked like yours, except he is blue - when I moved him to my divided 20Gal, that is when he started biting so I assume it might have been the stress from the new neighbors. He tore his tail up worse when I went away for 3 days (even after being moved back into his own tank). I think they get attached to you somewhat and if they get bored or stressed, take it out on their tails, especially long-finned ones like yours
I agree with the natural remedies. As well as maybe switching up the decor in his tank when you do a water change so he doesn't get too bored. But clean water is the best thing for his tail right now :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #4 
jindoluv

Thank you very much for the help!!!! I do not have a gravel vacuum unfortunately.. are they expensive? Where can I find aquarium salt or non-iodized and do they carry it in small packages?

I didn't think it would be tail biting because I've never seen him do it but I guess that is possible and I like to switch up his tank decorations each time I do a water change for the fun of it hehe :) Ok I will keep his tank as clean as possible!

If it is fin rot or tail biting will his tail grow back?
jindoluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #5 
mjoy79

I've never seen my biters do the "deed" either. Probably because they do it when I've not shown my face for awhile. Ugh. LOL
Clean water and perhaps some AQ salt will help with regrowth. I bought my AQ salt at Petco (or Petsmart).
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote