Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #31 
Pataflafla

It's alright, really.

Generally it's best to go with the expiration date if it's available, but a year of being opened might make it a little less effective as time goes on. Depending on how big of a bottle you get too, you might run through it way before the expiration date. I got a small bottle and was out before 3 weeks had passed, but I used it for various tanks of different sizes (A 5 gallon, a few 10 gallons, etc.) and I always put in more than necessary. I'm notorious for double dosing water conditioner for anything smaller than 10 gallons.

Its generally a good idea to have everything you're adding to the water mixed and ready to go in the water before adding your betta or any fish. It lessens the chance of something being irritating since everything should be mixed and doing it's job by the time acclimation is done.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #32 
inkrealm

Pataflafla- thanks a bunch :3 I think I've got all the info now, ^-^

also an interesting tidpit on Spock- he's repeating his same behavior tonight ( though less extremely), and minus the alarming appearance. since he was mostly fine all day, I'm wondering if this is an issue with night time... it's not the temp, I checked. but I do remember when I first got him, one day I closed the window behind him ( doesn't get direct sunlight ), and he started throwing a temper tantrum, no joke. x.x maybe the new shorter daylight hours are having a similar effect? 0.o I don't know yet, I'm going to keep watching him and see if he does this again tomorrow night too.... would be ridiculously amusing though... ^-^;
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #33 
Pataflafla

It may be lighting stressing him out. I know my tail biter didn't start until I kept the lights on for maybe another hour or two longer than usual. Sometimes they can be picky about everything.

Depending on where he is, you could maybe turn on a light in the room and keep it on until normal daylight hours are up before turning it off. I don't have a problem with my fish being afraid of the dark, but a problem with them being sleepyheads and not wanting to get up in the morning, so I cover their tanks with towels at night to keep things dark until I take them off.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #34 
inkrealm

Pataflafla- hahaha, I tried that once with mine and he wouldn't speak to me for a day and a half x.x you'd think I'd tried to bite him or something the way he freaked.
we actually have a light RIGHT over his tank. but he can see out the window and tell it's dark XC I think he just likes to perplex me. a few minutes later I tried ducking down where he wouldn't notice me and asked my mom to come talk to him... the little rat started dancing. :'3 he does still have a stupefied manner to him though. my dad came home from work and tried to talk to him... usually he talks back to him, but tonight he just kindof stared at him stupidly, till this really dumb look of slow recognition came over him and he started flapping his little fins ;u; he's such a bully, haha ;-; <3
Old 11-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #35 
Pataflafla

I think he might be messing with you then. I'd give him some time to recover from his ordeal and maybe bribe him with a treat or two.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #36 
inkrealm

sorry for the late update... main computer and backup computer have both crashed x.x;
I do think here was something off the first night, but after watching him I'm pretty sure the rest were either a tantrum or just trying to mess with me... sometimes I hate facial recognition >.<;
he's doing fine now; I decided it was best to opt out of keeping the snail, and his main tank is almost fully cleaned now. ^-^
he's still being a bit silly but other than the old tear in his fin he's doing well. I'm putting him on a dose of FW AQ Salt for the next day or two and then placinghim back in the old one. thanks for all the help <3