Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #1 
Noko

One bloated, one with a bump

I will start with the bloated one. He has been like this for a few weeks. I fasted him, even fed him a pea. Nothing has helped. He's only gotten bigger. Much much bigger.

For the second one, he has a bump near his eye. I suspect tumor, but me being me I want some opinions. I had the most amazing little girl betta pass from a tumor recently, so I just want confirmations or such.

I will upload photos in a moment, I just wanted to get this posted first since I'm using my iTouch and I have issues typing with my fat fingers.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Along with the pics...we also need the sticky info sheet completed and posted-you can find it at the top of this section...the more info we have the better....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #3 
Noko

The torn up fins are from a certain other betta jumping the divider multiple times and doing this... Poor guy. I have just taken him out of that tank and put him in an isolation tank so the two can heal or... whatever their fate is in peace.
(Sorry for the bad quality)

It grew fairly fast and by the time I noticed it, it was just a bit smaller than this.
(Again, bad quality, I know)

Here's it for both of them:

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons divided (Just moved the bloated one to a freshly cleaned 2.5 gallon tank just incase)
What temperature is your tank? Thermometer says 80, but heater is set to 76. I will get my extra thermometer out and test it for accuracy.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Two bettas in one tank, divided of course.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food. (Pellets)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once, sometimes twice a day (feed half the amount per sitting if twice).

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Try for every week, but at minimum every other week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About 20% I have recently done a 100% to clean up some algae though.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just a water conditioner (takes the chlorine and such out, nothig fancy)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Tested with a liquid drop type test
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.2
Hardness: Test doesn't include
Alkalinity: Test doesn't include

Symptoms and Treatment (Bloated one)
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just extremley large.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Still acts normal. No issues swimming except a bit slower than usual.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Fasted him for a few days, gave him a pea when that didn't work. Nothing worked
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? Got him a good year and a half a go, at least.

Symptoms and Treatment (One with bump)
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just the bump
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Same little fish as usual
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed a very small bump when I got him, but it just looked like some coloring. Just a few weeks ago I really noticed it.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope, no idea how I would go about it.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Just got him about 2 months ago.

I think I got it all.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

For the Betta with the swelling-it looks more like a tumor or fatty liver and sadly no treatment, however, usually they can still live a normal life until the tumor grows to a point that in impedes internal organs

The one with the bump on his face-I can't really tell much by the pic-it could be a tumor, external parasites, cyst or lymphocystis-I can't tell by the pic if its under the skin or on top.

Good that their overall behavior has not changed and they are still willing to eat...a couple of thing you can try....

Epsom salt 3tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt) tannins along with water changes while they are in a small QT for 10-14 days....

Once the treatment is complete and you place them back in the divided 10gal-I would keep Epsom salt 1tsp/gal in the tank all the time and increase the water changes to 50% weekly with vacuum to maintain water quality in a 10gal filtered tank....and make a 50% water only change based on water prams of ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater and keep the nitrate under 20ppm

Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) can help with swelling and its safe to use long term and live plant safe........ (aquarium salt is not a good long term product to use with this species)...The Epsom salt may not cure them but it may help to extend their life by treating the symptoms....

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote