Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #11 
erinandares

Okay, okay. Can someone explain the pearlscale thing to me? Maybe it's my tiny, jank netbook screen, but I've seen pics of these fish and they don't seem awfully different from other white ones...
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #12 
Luimeril

it's something going on with his white's scales. here's a normal white male from Aquastar:

and, here's his thousand dollar Pearlscale male:

his normal white male's scales look smoother, compared to the rough scales of his "Pearl Angel"... i don't think they look that good, and i'd never spend so much on one....
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #13 
erinandares

Ahhh! Seeing them both at once made it obvious. Lol. Yeahhh, I'm not fond of the scales, either... :/ I like the smooth ones. They seem more..... graceful for a betta.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #14 
Luimeril

the finnage of the Pearl Angel seems....... wonky. :/ ragged. eehh... to each their own, i guess.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

His conformation on either of them isn't perfect, which is what I'd want from a fish that expensive. The anal and dorsal fins both extend beyond the tail, so they don't make that perfect curve that you see on perfectly proportioned bettas. Personally, I'm not that bothered, but for $1000 I would be.

I'll be interested to see how his pearlscales turn out after a few generations in terms of health, etc.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #16 
Bettas Rule
Banned

I was wondering the same thing and now I cans see it's in the scales. Personally I don't like it and I don't feel that it's worth the money. I saw some other american breeder with weird scales and I wanted nothing to do with the fish. I am all about making money but in my opinion aquastar 71 is using his reputation to sell these fish and not letting the fish sell themselves. Normally I drool over his fish but these are not his finest specimens.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #17 
vilmarisv

I too like the smooth scales on bettas... but its an interesting trait and he does need to charge for the novelty.
Like purplemuffin mentioned, once he sells the one pair of those fish he's giving breeding rights of the new trait to the buyer who can sell them and Aquastar's will find himself competing for selling fish from a line he created so his prices will have to go down.
BUT I have to agree with some of you that there are so MUCH nicer fish on AB with great finnage and strong forms for $20-$30 dollars... I guess it's all a matter of your breeding goals.
Now stop posting these threads where you make me look at AB fish and I end up falling for them.. Banglebettas has a super red I'm drooling over!!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #18 
karendawne

I have an 8 week old spawn from my beautiful red hm in my avatar....they all have a lot of red on them, can't wait to see their adult coloring. i have to get some new pics, been too busy making room for a 125gal tank I bought on Craigslist lol. Got such a bargain I couldn't resist, I'll have to take out my dining room table lol. have to pick it up sat and I'm getting excited.
karendawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #19 
heathbar

I saw this on AB the other day too, I was shocked at the price tag and almost thought it was a typo. The fish is stunning but not $1000 stunning. For that kind of money the fish better poop out solid gold, or cook me dinner every night
heathbar is offline   Reply With Quote