Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #61 
coldpizzaonmondays

Looks like he's actually nottt afraid of the filter (this fish... oy), because I left it on last night (I was exhausted and fell asleep before I got a chance to turn it off) and he was swimming around his tank happy as ever this morning. So, I left it on for the day. Maybe he just really likes his new little bowl and was afraid of the plants? Either way... glad that bit's taken care of.

Do you know of any online aquarium plant retailers? There aren't any fish stores around me that I can easily get to, so I figured I'd just order some ACTUAL aquatic plants online, but I searched a few (after doing some research to figure out which plants are best for a 2.5ish gal tank with a betta) on amazon and it looks like all they have is java moss and java ferns which have rather high shipping fees. I mean, if that's all I can find, I'll get that, but I'd like to have a look around at the other plants that were suggested.

I've been hesitant on getting a heater just because all the reviews I've read on the ones I've found on amazon (because petco and petsmart's shipping rates are higher than amazon's) have been kind of bad. Many of them have said that the heaters either won't work, or work too well and make the tanks too hot. The only reason I haven't been worried about the temp. of his tank is because my room is kept at a consistently warm temperature. I have it turned all the way down in my room, but since the heat is always on in my building, it's somehow always warm in there, which keeps the tank warm... usually around 78-82 degrees (typically about 80), which from what I've read, is the ideal temp. range.

Is there a particular brand/type of heater you recommend? Obviously not a Marina glass one, I don't want to be making sushi out of Fishy!
coldpizzaonmondays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #62 
Myates

Nice looking digs Fishy!

Nifty idea for the light- even though there is plenty of natural light, just make sure to be able to substitute it on those rainy days.

If he is getting sucked into the intake part, use the closed end/toe part of some panty hose to cover the intake section (tie down with a rubber band) so he won't be sucked up into it anymore if it's possible. You could also check to see if you are able to put in an aquarium sponge in the outtake part (even if you cut it up) to help if it is too strong. I wouldn't turn it on and off- as the good bacteria will end up dying and then be pushed out into the tank, which can be harmful/deadly.

As far as the plants.. there are different species of dracaena- but dracaena sanderiana is a sub-species of it that is sold as aquatic, but for the most part, they truly shouldn't be.
Spathiphyllum is a peace lilly I believe, or the family of. Those are usually sold as aquatic plants, but in reality they aren't. Yes, the plants themselves need a lot of water to thrive- but normally in a pot, not submerged in a tank. Unfortunately since they can be under water for a bit, they sell them as if they are great. Now, if you had a terrarium (bottom half tank with fish/frogs, etc and top half plants out of the water), then you could do a peace lilly a little easier and just have the roots in the water. Even then it doesn't always work out.
Ophiopogon are generally fine, but generally only last a few months.
Trichomanes Javanicum - Aqua Fern is usually sold as well as aquatic, but it isn't a true one either..
(Grr unsure why pet stores such as Petco/Petsmart sells these. I mean, yeah, some *can* live under water for a few weeks, but half the time they don't live and end up rotting.)
Syngonium is it the star dust one? Still not one :(

This list of Plants to Avoid (or to Buy with Eyes Wide Open- also this is just the common ones being sold, the list goes on, and this isn't exclusive):
Aluminum Plant (Pilea cadierei)
Arrowhead (Syngonium podophyllum)
Bamboo Plant (Bamboo sp.)
Chameleon Plant (Houttuynia cordata)
Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema simplex)
Club Moss (Lycopodium spp.)
Coconut Plant (Calamus spp.)
Dwarf Rush (Acorus pusillus)
Dragon Tongue (Hemigraphis repanda)
Dwarf Onion Plant (Zephyranthes candida)
Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachia spp.)
Elephant Ear (Caladium spp.)
Green Sandy (Dracaena borquensis)
Hedge (Alternanthera sp.)
Japanese Rush (Acorus sp.)
Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon japonica)
Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum tasson)
Pineapple Plant (Dracaena compacta)
Pongol Sword (Chlorophytum bichetii)
Pothos (Philodendron spp.)
Prayer Plant (Maranta leucoreura)
Princess Pine (Lycopodium obscurum)
Purple Waffle (Hemigraphis exotica)
Red Dracaena (Cordyline spp.)
Rush (Pontederia cordata)
Sandy (Dracaena sanderiana)
Scarlet Hygro (Alternanthera sessilis)
Silver Queen (Aglaonema sp.)
Spider Plant (Chlorophytum bichetii)
Stardust Ivy (Syngonium spp.)
Sweet Flag (Acorus calamus)
Ti Plant (Cordyline terminalis)
Underwater Palm (Chamaedorea elegans)

Personally, I stick with Java ferns, Java moss, Naja grass, Anubias as they require little light, no filter, no substrate- and they are safe and very easy to care for.

Personally, I would return those plants.. but that is just me. You may be able to enjoy them for a few weeks if you don't think you can get your money back. Just wish they didn't sell those plants as aquatics.
Now I could be wrong- if you want I can ask one of the members here who only deals with live plants and is very knowledgeable.

The random flaring is him probably catching a glimpse of himself on the inside walls of the tank- which isn't a big deal as long as it's not stressing him out. Flaring won't harm him.

One more thing with the tank- or two rather..
Is there a heater?
Also, love the cave for him- I would just remove the sticker on the underside of it, as well as remove all the glue- eventually the paper will come off into the water, as well as the glue.

He is still bloated up some- how much have you been feeding him lately? Also keep an eye on the poop- if you see it coming out white let us know. Otherwise, for now, I would only feed him once a day until the bloating goes away.. he is still rather big.

But he is a handsome boy :) My favorite boy is a blue on black, so I'm partial to them hehe!

Last edited by Myates; 11-14-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #63 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldpizzaonmondays View Post
Looks like he's actually nottt afraid of the filter (this fish... oy), because I left it on last night (I was exhausted and fell asleep before I got a chance to turn it off) and he was swimming around his tank happy as ever this morning. So, I left it on for the day. Maybe he just really likes his new little bowl and was afraid of the plants? Either way... glad that bit's taken care of.

Do you know of any online aquarium plant retailers? There aren't any fish stores around me that I can easily get to, so I figured I'd just order some ACTUAL aquatic plants online, but I searched a few (after doing some research to figure out which plants are best for a 2.5ish gal tank with a betta) on amazon and it looks like all they have is java moss and java ferns which have rather high shipping fees. I mean, if that's all I can find, I'll get that, but I'd like to have a look around at the other plants that were suggested.

I've been hesitant on getting a heater just because all the reviews I've read on the ones I've found on amazon (because petco and petsmart's shipping rates are higher than amazon's) have been kind of bad. Many of them have said that the heaters either won't work, or work too well and make the tanks too hot. The only reason I haven't been worried about the temp. of his tank is because my room is kept at a consistently warm temperature. I have it turned all the way down in my room, but since the heat is always on in my building, it's somehow always warm in there, which keeps the tank warm... usually around 78-82 degrees (typically about 80), which from what I've read, is the ideal temp. range.

Is there a particular brand/type of heater you recommend? Obviously not a Marina glass one, I don't want to be making sushi out of Fishy!
Elites I've heard good things about.. haven't heard anything negative about Marineland.. Tetra can be bad from some of the member's experiences with it. Anything you can't adjust is iffy- they either don't heat enough, or too much. I would try to find a 20-25 watt adjustable one as then you can control the temp. But if the temp stays around 80, then I wouldn't worry about it too much- just use a thermometer (inside of the tank variety, the sticky ones aren't always accurate) to monitor the temp.

If he seems to be swimming fine with the filter, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I don't know any online dealer for plants, I'm sorry- again I can ask Oldfishlady, or you can send her a PM and ask about your plants.

*edit* you posted when I was in the middle of my post and taking the pup out- lol so ignore my question about the heater in my previous post.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #64 
coldpizzaonmondays

I did some reading last night on the filter and suggestions on how to keep the flow down, I'm going to see if I can rinse all of the possible soap and chemicals out of a pair of stockings and put them on both the intake and the outflow spots to lessen the flow.
And about the lighting, thanks! It was $15 to get a little clip on LED one for the tank at Petco, which was way too much in my opinion... so I got creative. :P

I'll shoot her a message, thanks!

And I'd return the plants but I live a half hour bus ride and half hour walk from Petco, so it's really not worth it. I'll just keep them in their own cup o' water and enjoy them while they last.

He wasn't flaring this morning, so I'm not sure what was going on, I'll keep an eye on him though.

Actually the bottom of the cup is a ceramic glaze saying where it was made and all that, not a sticker! Haha... so no worries there. :)

Since I bought the little pellets I've been feeding him about 3 to 6 total a day. And I was looking at photos from when I first got him, he's always been a bit bloaty...er than other fish. Hmm...

And thank you! I think so too. :)

I've been using a glass thermometer I used to use for the darkroom (for water only... no chemicals) to get the temperature... it just floats around in the tank for a few minutes and then I take it out after I get a reading. I'll see if I can find one that can stay in the tank though, and maybe get a heater as well just in case I do need to use it... if I can find one for not too much money.

And I'll shoot her a message, thank you!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #65 
Myates

Hmm is right on the bloating. Did he "fatten" back up after you started feeding him after his last fasting? If so, wonder if we have a hidden case of pests in him. Otherwise, for now, just keep him at around 4 a day, 2 per meal, see if he can lose some more of the belly.
They don't get "fat" like us, but doesn't mean some won't be a little bigger then others. In fact, my blue on black like that has a belly almost that size, regardless how many meals he misses, etc. Guess we have some pot-bellied bettas hehehe
Old 11-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #66 
coldpizzaonmondays

I mean he never really went lean per say... only not bloated anymore... if that makes sense.

But I'll keep him on the restricted diet.

Annnnd of course... we have another problem. I think he's got a fungus again, or something. He's got a little white cottony dot by his eyeball, and one under his chin. And there's one on one of the betta bulbs. They're all itty bitty, as in too small for my camera to pick up clearly. Just looks like a little spot of cotton about the size of a pen tip. Should I try the fungus tab again? Take the carbon filter out and throw in the amount for a 2.5 gal?

I can't win.... ugh.

And with him constantly having something wrong with him, I'm worried about what'll happen while I'm gone next week...
Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #67 
Myates

Grr.. now, is it like a thick cottony small puff? Or does it look milky and slimy?

Usually they are in the treatments for about a week straight- I can't remember how long he was in the anti fungus meds. I would remove the plants and filter, just QT the plants in something like a pitcher.. or QT him once more to make the 100% daily water changes easier. If the exact same thing is on a plant then that may be the culprit, I don't know without pictures :(

(Oh, here is a plant dealer you can check out online- they do specific betta friendly plants- Acumen Aquatics) (I thank Bombalurina for mentioning them in another thread so I had to check it out:P )
Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #68 
coldpizzaonmondays

Thick cottony small puff. Looks like there're a couple on the filter too. URggghhh! I guess I'll take him out of his new tank (not really pretty anymore without the plants) and put him back in his hospital tank, and clean out the new tank and the filter and reset that up and filter it while he's in the hospital tank.

Salt treatment again? Or just the hospital tank?

It was on one of the betta bulbs, so I'll keep those out of the tank and put them in their own container of water as well.

All of this nonsense just makes me super nervous for when I'm leaving next week. I leave on Tuesday afternoon... so... hospital tank or big new tank? Or should I bring him home with me? Ugh... so many issues....

I did however remember that there's a fish store that's not one of the big corp. ones near my parents house, and as I'll be going there for Thanksgiving next week, I think I'll just pick some plants up there to avoid the shipping costs. The employees are also super knowledgeable there, so I'm sure they can help me out a bit.

Thank you so much for everything, you've really been a lifesaver... literally.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #69 
coldpizzaonmondays

Okay, so.... last night I took him out of his fancy big tank and put him in the hospital tank with a teeny bit of the fungus stuff. He seemed a little happier to be in the hospital tank... maybe because the big tank was getting dirty (the sneaky plants had completely blocked the filter intake and I didn't realize till I took him out).

Washed everything down with hot water and re-set up the big tank, sans plants. Put some thoroughly rinsed stockings over the intake and the outflow of the filter so they wouldn't suck Fishy in or blow him around too much. Plugged in the filter, and watched Fishy for a bit in the hospital tank.
I took out the betta bulbs, I think they were the culprits... they looked nasty. So I put them in a cup of water to see if they grow or just get gross. Put the plants in a glass of water with gravel on the bottom... they look pretty. :)

Somehow, the heat was NOT on in my building last night so I was worried about Fishy getting too cold (it wasn't that cold, it just wasn't warm like it usually is), so I wrapped his little hospital tank up with a scarf to keep the tank a little warmer. He seemed confused as to where all of his scenery went, but he was okay with it and took a few naps.

As I was going to sleep last night the filter started wailing. Not sure what caused it, but as there's nothing alive in the tank, it's just water, rocks and his bowl right now, I just turned it off. I'll try and figure it out tonight. I'm guessing it has something to do with the stockings.

So as of right now, the plan is to keep him in the hospital tank and keep an eye on him to see how he's doing. Do 100% water changes every day until he looks better, and then put him back in a functional tank, sans plants or bulbs. I'll get some ACTUAL aquatic plants suitable for the tank, as well as a light and heater if I can find ones that'll work, while I'm at my parents house for Thanksgiving.

Does that sound like a good idea?

Tags
bloated belly, cotton fins, dropsy, fungus, sick