Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #1 
tracyalexa

Husbands fish is sick...please help...

I am not sure what is wrong. I am linking to a youtube video. Excuse the Bad Girls Club in the background.

We've only had him 3 days. He is in a 2 gal, unfiltered, heated tank. Water is the same as my other 19 fish....it's fine.

He hangs at the bottom all day. Seems to be swim bladder? What do I do for this? Please see the vid....help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yC_4...&feature=feedu
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #2 
BellasMomma

darn video won't load for me... Has he acted this way since you got him 3 days ago...?if so he may just be getting used to his new home, my guy hid for the first 2 days I had him... Have you changed his water yet? Sorrie I don't have an actual answer for you but I'm commenting so it will cycle back through the forum
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #3 
tracyalexa

Name:  6347359625_9e68584079.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  6348107182_f36cc67afc.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  93.1 KB

My husband just called and said it looks like it's dying. It basically lays on the bottom and can hardly swim at all. He was fine when we got him and now he's just lifeless. It's not new surroundings though.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Lower the water level as much as you can for him and start him on 1 tsp/gal epsom salt to see if that helps him out.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #5 
SnowySurface

I'm a bit confused.

If you aren't treating him for anything yet, why is he in a secondary container? It seems like he is in something that is floating in the 2 gallon tank.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #6 
tracyalexa

I am not treating him. He can barely swim so I put him in a cup, in his tank. It's easier to get to the top for air that way.

I will try the epsom salt.

Do you think its swim bladder? I thought they more or less float to the top w/ that?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

Swim bladder can appear as trouble swimming down, trouble swimming up, and/or trouble staying upright. It can also appear as the back end floating or sinking more than usual with tail weight.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #8 
SnowySurface

Sorry for the delay. Your explanation makes sense if he is having that much trouble swiming. It should have been obvious yesterday. ^_^;

The only other thing I can think of that would help is increased temp. Usually a betta tank is about 78-80 degrees. But bumping the temp up to 82 degrees during an illness can also help. I can understand if this isn't an option if you heater isn't adjustable. The only other thing I can think of is diet. Freeze dried food can cause bloating and constipation. Did you feed him at any point during the past 5 days?

This one is a bit of a mystery. The water is clear enough for me to make out the rim of his floating cup. The water quality is spot on if his color, fins, and rays are in such good shape considering his current condition. Was he doing anything else while he was laying at the bottom of the tank? Rapid breathing? Scratching himself on gravel? Trouble with bounacy? Clampped fins?

I hope he's doing better now. It sucks when a fish gets sick while living in ideal water conditions. :(
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote