Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #1 
My Fish Frank

Unhappy what do i do now?

my fighting fish has been in his 22L tank for about a week with 2 small mollies and he seemed to be fine. the other day i added 3 rummynose tetras to the tank and yesterday i noticed his beautiful fins have been nipped at the ends... i'm assuming that it was the tetras that did this because he didn't have any signs of it with the mollies (and i was looking for it).

i immediately scooped out all other tank mates and put them into a separate tank, did a 25% water change and added some extra aquarium salt. i have melafix in my draw but i am scared it might kill him because i think that's what killed my last one.

should i add a tiny half dose of melafix, a full one or just do daily water changes and keep adding salt??

his fins should grow back according to Google right????
My Fish Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:19 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

How bad is the damage? People on this site (myself included) have fish that self damage all the time and their fins grow back just fine. That being said, clean water goes a LONG way. In fact, after having a tail-biter for years, it was only after I moved him into a tank where the water was perfect did his fins finally grow back. It also helped that the new tank had tons of plants for him to play in so he didn't get bored and tail-bite...
Anyways, how big is the tank he is in? How frequently do you do water changes (before this)? Does the tank have any live plants?

I personally would never use Melafix with bettas. The main ingredient, Tea Tree Oil suppresses their labyrinth lung, that is, the lung they use to breath, mainly from the surface.

I am not even sure that using salt anymore is necessary. At the very least, don't use it for more than 8 days in this case.

Good luck!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:16 AM   #3 
My Fish Frank

He is in a 22L tank and he has only been in it for about 2 weeks and I have done a 100% water change since then. I don't think he bites his own tail because I have had him for about 2 months and he hasn't done it.

His new tank is heated to 26 degrees and the water tests shows its all normal and fine. He has 6 plastic plants in his tank as well as a heap of live water sprites floating on the top of his tank (or that's what I think they are called)
My Fish Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

Is the tank filtered? You don't need to do 100% changes on a filtered 5 gallon, and in fact, that messes up more things than it helps. It is probably a good thing that the tetras did not work out because that would have made your tank very overstocked! Having 1 betta and a couple of mollies is pushing it as it is!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #5 
Luimeril

the little tetras could have nipped his fins, or the mollies. i don't know much about those tetras, but i do know that many tetras are nippy little buggers.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #6 
Myates

In a 22L, it is unwise to have that many fish- as the bio load would be too much. So I would suggest getting the other tank mates a new home- since the rummy nose would do better in schools, and the mollies would outgrow the 5 gallon if kept with the betta.

Also would not use AQ salt for nipped fins- it can hamper the growth, cause internal damage in the way of liver and kidney failure, and can cause the fish and the bacteria to become resistant to the beneficial properties of the salt.. and should only be used for specific treatments. Clean water is all you need to prevent rot from forming from damaged fins.

Melafix is not recommended to use for them.. as the tree oil ingredient can harm their labyrinth organ.

The fins will grow back with clean water, high protein diet and if you want to add something, Stress Coat promotes fin growth.

Good luck with everything.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote