Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #1 
turtlephobic

Safely divide a ten gallon tank?

Hello! I have recently decided to cut my ten gallon tank in two so I can have two Betta Fish! I was wondering what the best (and cheapest if possible) way to do this would be?
turtlephobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

I use silicone, plastic craft mesh and spines from project covers. I have two divided tanks :)

Welcome to the board!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #3 
mjoy79

Here's a pretty detailed tutorial. I divided my 20G following these instructions - well not exactly but pretty close. :)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....vider+tutorial
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #4 
Anitax3x

you could DEF up that number to 3 males in a 10 g :)
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

I used this tutorial when I was making dividers...I just used a few dots of aquarium silicone to hold them inplace securely and then cut another piece of the craft mesh into a rectangle to T the top of the divider to prevent bettas from jumping sections.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #6 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I used this tutorial when I was making dividers...I just used a few dots of aquarium silicone to hold them inplace securely and then cut another piece of the craft mesh into a rectangle to T the top of the divider to prevent bettas from jumping sections.
I did the same thing for the top of my dividers - since they were a little short.
Attached Images

mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

I did the topper as well :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #8 
turtlephobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I use silicone, plastic craft mesh and spines from project covers. I have two divided tanks :)

Welcome to the board!
Thanks! I was at PetSmart looking at their dividers, but I had heard so many bad things about it I was afraid to buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
Here's a pretty detailed tutorial. I divided my 20G following these instructions - well not exactly but pretty close. :)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....vider+tutorial
Thanks so much! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
you could DEF up that number to 3 males in a 10 g :)
Hah, I'd love to, but my parents won't allow me to have more than two. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I never would have thought of that. Thanks! :D
turtlephobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

I can attest that the Petsmart dividers are not that great of quality. I had to trim my down to fit in my 10 gal. And the clips weren't tight enough so I had to secure them to the side with silly putty. I didn't have time to make one. The heating unit on our house failed, so I had to move my two bettas to a heated tank pronto! Moral of the story: make your own.

And are you serious I could put 3 bettas in a 10 gal? Because I've been bitten by the betta bug baaad this time around.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #10 
Lost in a Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post

And are you serious I could put 3 bettas in a 10 gal? Because I've been bitten by the betta bug baaad this time around.

Haha, me too! I just divided my 10 gallon in half tonight. I wanted to do thirds, but my BF (who was actually the one with the silicone gun), thought the sections would be too small.
I'm looking for another 10 gallon, that one may get divided in thirds.
Yeah, this is a bad bug.

I happen to work at a place that does repair on patio furniture, and we have racks and racks of outdoor fabric that's plastic coated and designed to get wet, so I swiped a piece of that for the actual divider. I liked it better than the craft plastic they used in the tutorial because it has tons of holes for the water to go through, but I think the weaving is dense enough they can't really see each other.
Lost in a Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote