Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #1 
OliverTheBetta

Expert Advice Needed!

I'm new to Betta fish keeping. I've had one at my office for a few weeks now and it has gone very well. His name is Oliver and I've enjoyed him so much I decided to get one for home.

Purchased a 2.5 gallon tank kit for the new fish, Oscar, and brought everything home. Rinsed everything well, put the tank together, including a small filter and added a heater pre-set to 78 degrees F. Added the drops to de-chlorinate the water and floated Oscar in his standard-store-cup-with-blue-water in the tank for one hour. Poured most of the blue water out and then gently dropped Oscar into the new tank.

Oscar was a happy little fishy until about 2 hours later when he became lethargic, keeping to the top of the tank, and finally acting as though he couldn't stay afloat. He was sinking. He would swim to the top, gasp for air and sink again.

This morning, his gills were open, and remained that way. I had to leave for work, and I'm hoping against all odds that he is still alive when I get home, but I have no clue what to do when I get there.

This is where expert advice would come in really handy.

I've been reading a LOT of threads on here and I'm thinking he might be poisoned from nitrite/nitrate/amonia due to my lack of knowledge (not waiting long enough to transfer him) but I really don't know.

Please help...
OliverTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverTheBetta View Post
I'm new to Betta fish keeping. I've had one at my office for a few weeks now and it has gone very well. His name is Oliver and I've enjoyed him so much I decided to get one for home.

Purchased a 2.5 gallon tank kit for the new fish, Oscar, and brought everything home. Rinsed everything well, put the tank together, including a small filter and added a heater pre-set to 78 degrees F. Added the drops to de-chlorinate the water and floated Oscar in his standard-store-cup-with-blue-water in the tank for one hour. Poured most of the blue water out and then gently dropped Oscar into the new tank.

Oscar was a happy little fishy until about 2 hours later when he became lethargic, keeping to the top of the tank, and finally acting as though he couldn't stay afloat. He was sinking. He would swim to the top, gasp for air and sink again.

This morning, his gills were open, and remained that way. I had to leave for work, and I'm hoping against all odds that he is still alive when I get home, but I have no clue what to do when I get there.

This is where expert advice would come in really handy.

I've been reading a LOT of threads on here and I'm thinking he might be poisoned from nitrite/nitrate/amonia due to my lack of knowledge (not waiting long enough to transfer him) but I really don't know.

Please help...
Hmmm I am not sure about that, it may be because the levels are different (some bettas react very very bad to a change in chemistry, such as PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). Do you know if you can get his water tested? Most pet stores that carry fish, or an actual fish store can do it for you if you bring them a sample of the water. If he is still alive when you get home, try giving some of the water from Oliver, to Oscar. See if that makes any change.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #3 
OliverTheBetta

It is possible to take some water from Oliver at work (his tank is only 1/2 gallon) to Oscar at home, but the trip home is about 30-45 minutes which would drastically change the temp of the water since it's only about 60 degrees outside. This would be a big concern, would it not?

I am considering purchasing bottled water in gallon jugs (NOT distilled) and doing a 100% water change in Oscar's tank, allowing a MUCH longer time before adding him to it. PLUS, I've read I should add 2X the de-chlorinator, 1 tsp/gallon aquarium salt, and Stress Coat. Does that sound like a good plan or a waste of time?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Aquarium salt is for external problems, like fin rot, cuts, missing scales, etc... Not sure it would do anything but stress him out. Aquarium salt can damage gills (and the liver!) if anything. Do you know if the water for Oliver is the same as for Oscar? Like... did the water both come from filtered taps? Plus I recommend getting Oscar's water tested! See what's wrong. Adding stress coat is a great idea! My de-chlorinator says 5ml per 10 gallons, I usually use half for 5 gallons and under because it's also good to neutralize other stuff too. So I think you can do that. I've never used bottled water... But, it's worth a shot especially if it is because of the water you used (some regions have problems with fish, because of high amounts of metals, and chemicals)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta isn't well....sadly it sounds like osmotic shock due to improper acclimation to the new chemistry....not a lot can be done at this point but hope he was strong enough to recover...testing the water at this point will not do much for his state.....I would go ahead and make a 50% water change and lower the water level or put him back in his cup and float in the heated tank-and double dose the dechlorinator and add 2tsp/gal aquarium salt......don't change the source water at this point-keep using the water source you started with.....good luck....and if he doesn't recover....don't give up.....

When you get a new Betta properly acclimate to the water chemistry-dump half the water out of the holding container and add a drop or two of Prime to neutralize any ammonia-then add small amount of the dechlorinated tank water to the holding container over about an hour or to his tolerance until full-then repeat...dump the pet shop water down the drain and the water from the holding container on the repeat...be sure to use dechlorinator with any water added to the tank if you have to top if off......

Good luck....stuff happens to all of us at one point or another and some Bettas can be more sensitive to chemistry changes than others....I hope your fella recovers....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #6 
OliverTheBetta

Thanks so much for the feedback. I wish it had been a weekend day yesterday so I could have been at home and tried to help him out, but by the time I got home, he was gone. I feel terrible that I made him stress and suffer.

If I've learned from this mistake, it would be these things:
1). introduce water to the holding (or store bought) cup over a long period of time (1-2 hours) from the tank where the fish is going to acclimate him.
2). do step one while floating the holding cup in the tank. (see question below)
3). it's best to dechlorinate water and then allow it to sit for 24 hours before using with any fish.

When I buy the fish at the store, they come in plastic cups. The store is cool and the weather outside is cool (60's) but the tank is 78. Floating the plastic cup in the tank could cause shock due to the temp difference - yes or no?

On another note...

When I got to work this morning, the 1/2 gallon tank I have Oliver in was down to 64 degrees!!!!! Our office building is COLD, so I am taking him home tonight and putting him in the tank instead. No more fish at work. I put a very small heater in the tank and the water is warming up, but he's still sluggish. Lord I hope I don't lose him, too!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Dang...sorry for your loss...good to hear you are not giving up....stuff happens....

When you intro a fish to a new source water-it best to acclimate them to not just the temp but to the chemistry too-by adding small amounts of the new dechlorinated tank water to the holding cup over a period of time...slowly or to their tolerance-you can float the holding container in the tank too, however, by adding the water from the tank you will be doing both.....

Good luck and keep us posted on the office guy...hope to see pics soon....
Old 11-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #8 
OliverTheBetta

Office fish, Oliver, has me worried. The water is now between 78 and 80 degrees but he's still sluggish. He moves from time to time, sometimes on the bottom (where I have smooth, glass stones), and sometimes to the top, where I have floated a couple of strands of plastic plant (he loves this area, hiding out here), sometimes at the top near a corner. His upper fin is 'deflated' which is not normal for him. He's really pretty - blue body fading out to red fins with some purple in between. I REALLY don't want to lose another fish. Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Since he just moved to a new location along with warmer water-he may need time to adjust, however, I would go ahead and make a water change-25-50% water only and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank-be sure the replacement water temp is fairly close to the tank water temp and turn the light off for a few hours....can you post a pic....
Old 11-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #10 
OliverTheBetta

I'm still at the office, and I increased the water temp by plugging and unplugging the little heater in his 1/2 gallon tank. Left unplugged, the temp plummets (it's cold in here!) but left plugged in, it increases to 82 - maybe higher. I'm trying to keep it between 78 and 80.

I did a 50% water change already for him - although hindsight being what it is, I'm sure I did it too fast. (!!!!) I have only one 1/2 gallon tank with a thermometer stuck on the outside, so no way of testing the temp of other water. (More good reasons to move him to the house.)

I hope to leave in about 30 minutes and get him home so would leaving him as is be best? Just get him to the house and follow your instructions about a very slow water change and floating him in the 2.5gal tank at home.

Does that sound right?