Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I agree with trilobite. And what ever we say is merely theoretical probabilities.

Bad genes from rose is mainly bent/curly fins which usually show at an older age (above 5 months). While DT shows at an early age and is mainly spinal issues (some show after fins have developed).

What look are you looking for?

DT female is green. #2 male is black with green irid + orange fins (some people include them as mustard gas). Color Probability might be black with red/orange fins and most probably green irids on body, green/turquoise multi. Not sure about blue - depends whether the male has blue background or not.

DT female x #1 male would probably produce blue/green/turquoise/metalic blue multis and some solids. BUT you want to reduce ray branching - which wont be achieved by the DT. It would be better to breed him to a 4 rayed HM....... wait on, when the DT flares, does her fins spread 180? iF so don't breed them. But if her fins are like in the picture, you can give them a shot because that means she has few ray branching. But be prepared to cull a few due to DT and rose deformities.... up to you.

I don't know how feather tails work so if you're trying to get those, I'd just breed back to daddy in the future.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #12 
Anitax3x

I would love to see the RTXVT pair!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #13 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
Form should be focused on more than colour.
Both are HM, one however has far more branching than the other ressulting in the feathertail apperance.

By crossing a Vt to either of them you will get similar results. But the incresed branching in Male1 may compensate for the VTs low branching which will potentially give the offspring more caudal spread and therefore closer to HM standards.

Looking at male 1 again he appears quite short bodied, crossing this with a dt which are usually shortbodied will result in poor, shortbodied fry, plus it looks like hes carrying DT so you may get short bodied RTDT fry.

DT and male2 will most likely give you blue fish with red wash, same as what you would expect from male 1 and DT. They would have a nice broad dorsal because of DT influence.

red VT and male2 would prob give you blue with redwash and darkbodied reds with lots of blue irids.

Red VT and male1=probably again, blue with a lot of redwash and/or some reds.

This is just me guessing though.
At the end of the day its up to you, its like a lucky dip
Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I agree with trilobite. And what ever we say is merely theoretical probabilities.

Bad genes from rose is mainly bent/curly fins which usually show at an older age (above 5 months). While DT shows at an early age and is mainly spinal issues (some show after fins have developed).

What look are you looking for?

DT female is green. #2 male is black with green irid + orange fins (some people include them as mustard gas). Color Probability might be black with red/orange fins and most probably green irids on body, green/turquoise multi. Not sure about blue - depends whether the male has blue background or not.

DT female x #1 male would probably produce blue/green/turquoise/metalic blue multis and some solids. BUT you want to reduce ray branching - which wont be achieved by the DT. It would be better to breed him to a 4 rayed HM....... wait on, when the DT flares, does her fins spread 180? iF so don't breed them. But if her fins are like in the picture, you can give them a shot because that means she has few ray branching. But be prepared to cull a few due to DT and rose deformities.... up to you.

I don't know how feather tails work so if you're trying to get those, I'd just breed back to daddy in the future.

Okay, i think i get it now... Took some new pictures of the females, hopefully this will help further discussion. :3 Gunna post them in a separate post.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #14 
Gizmothefreaky

Female #1 (Ariel)

and without flash for true colors:

And female #2 (Pumpkin) (please excuse Winter in the BG. XD )

Do those better show the females?

And shots of the potential daddies ( egads, ignore the smudged glass, was taken from the side of the tank. XD )
male #1 Tybalt (duh XD)

male #2 Samhain
Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #15 
indjo
TFK Moderator

OK, DT may have 16 base rays, but only 2 end rays. So you can give her a shot. Nevertheless, beware of deformities. If fry show them at a later age, don't breed them any further. IME, rose effects are hard to totally erase. I always had a few fin curls for 4 generations, even though I used new genes.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #16 
Gizmothefreaky

I planed to do a large ammount of culling anyway, just because of it being my first try, so i will just leave daddy in longer and he should take care of any deformed babies, right?