Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #1 
truffles23

tank/heater questions :/ helpppp!!

hey everyone! few questions since it's been driving me crazy searching through threads etc... (i apologize if this gets lengthy). currently, i have 3 bettas each living in one gallon tanks, no heaters (i usually keep the light on when it's cold out and the water temp is usually around 75 degrees), no filters. i do 100% water changes every 4 days. i do understand the importance of a larger tank and keeping the water temp quite warm.. unfortunately, i didn't really have the space to get bigger tanks, (and up until recently i had 4 tanks, so i REALLY didn't have the space) and i was very skeptical about placing a heater in only a gallon of water. i've had all 3 guys for over 2 years now, so i figure i can't be doing too much wrong, plus they're all very active, and never have had any symptoms of illness. so now that i do have some extra space, i want to upgrade! i'm on a pretty tight budget, i've been looking into small heaters, i checked out the elite mini submersible heater 25 watt, and the hydor theo 25 watt. since i'd be purchasing 3 heaters, it gets pretty pricey, so i was looking into 2 gallon critter keepers for tanks so i'm not spending hundreds.

so here are my many questions:
- what heaters would any of you recommend for that size critter keeper? also, sometimes i work crazy hours, so i'm nervous at the idea of leaving a heater on unattended and it boiling my guys, but at the same time i don't want them to freeze :(
- is 2 gallons big enough for a filter? or should i leave it filter-less? i did have the pennplax small world filters for a little while in the tanks, between 2 air pumps at a minimal pressure, i ended up taking them out and they seemed a bit happier without them.
- what's a good schedule for water changes? i'm really nervous also about doing water changes while using the heaters. usually i pre-condition the water in advance and let it sit so the temperatures are the same as the tanks. it's also a lot quicker since i do water changes every few days.

again i apologize for all the questions :( i really want to give them some more space and warmer water since it's already freezing out, i'm just worried about going about it all wrong/not knowing the best way to do this. any suggestions are appreciated!!
truffles23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #2 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffles23 View Post
- what heaters would any of you recommend for that size critter keeper? also, sometimes i work crazy hours, so i'm nervous at the idea of leaving a heater on unattended and it boiling my guys, but at the same time i don't want them to freeze :( I would go with a 10-15 watt heater for a keeper. But you would need to keep it on, as temp fluctuations are just as dangerous, if not moreso in ways, then the cooler water.
- is 2 gallons big enough for a filter? or should i leave it filter-less? i did have the pennplax small world filters for a little while in the tanks, between 2 air pumps at a minimal pressure, i ended up taking them out and they seemed a bit happier without them. You can, but not needed.. would be the same water changes per week as your unfiltered 1 gallons- (1 50% and 1 100% per week).
- what's a good schedule for water changes? i'm really nervous also about doing water changes while using the heaters. usually i pre-condition the water in advance and let it sit so the temperatures are the same as the tanks. it's also a lot quicker since i do water changes every few days. Mentioned above for non-filtered tanks.
If you have the money, this may be a cheap way to go- it has all you will need, including a heater. Just have to make a few home made dividers (or buy them premade) and you can have all 3, or 4 bettas in it, with only one heater needed, easier on water changes and in total takes up pretty much the same amount of room of the keepers and it may be cheaper then buying 3 heaters (which at cheapest will run at least $36+ for the cheap, 10 watt ones) and if you were looking into it, 3 filters. With just the keepers and heaters you will pay more then this one tank.
Just throwing it out :)

Otherwise, Petco has medium kritter keepers ( 1.75 gallons) for approx $8, and large (2.75 gallons) for approx $10 each.

Last edited by Myates; 11-18-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 
kitkatbar

You can get heaters that automatically adjust the temperature. At least I bought one... you have to check it to make sure it is operating correctly all the time but I don't think you would have to worry about your fishies getting boiled.
kitkatbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #4 
mjoy79

for that size I recommend the Marina 10Watt heater. But I wouldn't go any bigger than 2 gallons for that heater.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote