Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #11 
Curlyfatbottom

lol green tea
canceling plan so you can just see your fry hatch.
it usually take 5 day after the egg are laid until you have to do anything.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #12 
Curlyfatbottom

If you want a greater fry turn out.
Leave the light on.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas Rule View Post
Congrats on the spawn they look great!!

If you don't feed them enough to grow 4cm in the 2 month period, does that mean they won't grow to their full potential?
Not really, as long as they reach 5.5cm in 4 months - these should reach 10cm BO around a year or so. But 4cm in 2 months should be able to get 12cm in over a year.

I'm still in the process of testing this myth - "if you don't feed them that much, can they grow to be giants". So far I can say that giant genes will boost their growth when ever they eat.... you could actually see the difference in 2-3 days. But it's too soon to conclude whether they can be giant size or not.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #14 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Not really, as long as they reach 5.5cm in 4 months - these should reach 10cm BO around a year or so. But 4cm in 2 months should be able to get 12cm in over a year.

I'm still in the process of testing this myth - "if you don't feed them that much, can they grow to be giants". So far I can say that giant genes will boost their growth when ever they eat.... you could actually see the difference in 2-3 days. But it's too soon to conclude whether they can be giant size or not.
Wow that is very interesting....Thanks for the info!
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #15 
GreenTea

I go home in a few hours....hopefully to some fry! Super anxious to get there, hope I have babies..
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #16 
GreenTea

So much white poop everywhere. I'm so disappointed.

Dad ate the eggs again...Could he just be hungry? Both times before I spawned him he hadn't eaten in a few days, he never wants pellets it seems like. He's so gorgeous, maybe I just need to feed him more or artificially hatch the eggs...Boo I'm sad.

I hope you all enjoyed the video. I released the female for another pair. Won't be updating until I have some fry. It's so frustrating when kids spawn their veitails in hours and weeks of trying have yielded no results here..
Old 11-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #17 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I currently have the same problem with 2 males. One is an egg eater - but he doesn't eat them right away. And the second one is a fry eater. Not sure why, maybe I'm disturbing them too much.

I'm trying them again but this time I plan to either takeout the males as soon as spawning is complete (artificially hatching the eggs) . Or I might spawn 3 males at once - the daddy of my current fry who is a proven good daddy and move all eggs to his nest. Haven't decided yet because this male is still healing from his illness.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #18 
tpocicat

I'm sorry your spawning didn't work out. You're not the only one. It seems the more you want the spawn, the more the bettas don't!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:34 PM   #19 
Dead Sunlight

Your male appears to be a piebald...? Perhaps a manifestation of a mixed marble strain. Personally I don't feed either fish until expelling has ceased or if one or both seem to be eating eggs... He's probably not hungry, really, it may be more of a temptation. If you see this happening more often, draw his attention away with a bloodworm or such... This usually temporarily satisfys my male's egg lust just until the fry hatch. We don't really have much control over who is an egg/fry eater and who isn't... Some males just don't prove to be good fathers. This could be a result of stress, however.
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #20 
GreenTea

No, he's not piebald. He's "monster" aka white dragon scaling around the face like a mask. It's also not a result of stress, as I was away from the nest and there was no one in the house for two days after I removed the female from the tank...He wasn't eating the eggs while I was here...I'll try a bloodworm next time.