Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #11 
GreenTea

The yellow color is actually a red color mutation, so your best best for yellow fry I say would be with the red girl.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm Little Rose hey? :) I wanted to try her with him anyways xD I'll definitely want to try, eventually. Thanks Green Tea!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yellow is very recessive and you will probably lose the color in offspring. Your best bet would be crossing it to a cambodian or white (both carry NR genes), if you can't get another yellow.

I bred my coppers to 2 different yellows for 2 generations but didn't get any yellow at all. I got some cambodian like colors which people said would in turn produce yellow/gold..... but they all died so couldn't continue.

I'm not sure about the genetic make up, but when I bred poor quality red dragons (fins were rather whitish), I got quite a few yellow and gold.dragons.

Producing solid colors is sometimes like gambling. If they've been mixed to red you will almost always get some red on their fins. Only a small percentage will turnout solid which you need to further breed.

True purple are also very hard to produce. By true purple, I really mean purple, not certain shades of blue that look purple. I have never tried them nor do I know how to mix them but I see people produce them through lavender. Only a very small percentage will be true purples and they will not breed true, specially if bred to other colors.

Do you know how the super red works? Well the above colors work similarly. In order to produce them, you can't always get those colors in every generation. You will produce other supporting colors which when bred further will produce yellow and purple...... That's what I concluded from other people's results.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Hmm that's true :) I think my Reggie is a cambodian o.O not sure. Has a pale body with a nice red for his fins - ironically he is supposed to be a VT and his fins are short and rounded still (healing up nice...) hehe white is even harder to find BUT I would totally dibs a white girlie even from over seas ^^
Old 11-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #15 
Luimeril

the 'fun' thing about breeding pet store bettas is, you NEVER know exactly what you'll get. but, as you saw with Madam and Spartan, that's not always a good thing. if you want to breed pet store bettas, i've said before, is to breed them from a pet store that not only takes good care of their bettas, but has wonderfully healthy bettas.

like, out of my batch, i'd breed everyone of mine, except King Steve. despite him being wonderfully healthy and quite beautiful(with the most amazing fins i've EVER seen on a CT), he's a walmart betta, and we all know how well they care for them, and i've seen things like tumors, severe hunch back, and other bad things from walmart bettas.

but, i'd breed Scout, Lulu, and Ichi. they're my pet store babies, and Pet Lovers not only takes amazing care of them, but i've never seen tumors, hunch back, or other deformities and conditions from their bettas.

and, out of my remaining three, Spy, Heavy, and Sniper, Chard breeds PetCo bettas, so it's possible their parents or grand parents were pet store bettas. they show what amazing things you can get from 'wonky genetics'! if i'm not mistaking, Spy's copper yellow was a fluke he found after introducing a petco yellow into his yellow line!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

Oh nice on the copper yellow!!! And I actually got El Dorado basically he day he was there. I don't think he is from the same supplier... Maybe he was a pet?? Because there was no shipment on that day, I came the day of the shipment which all the bettas were sick, dying, diseased, dead, or deformed. I came twp days later and that little chilled yellow betta was sitting on a plant in the 40 gallon with a couple other fishies (some type of tetra). So I grabbed him xD

This time around I'm being a lot more careful. I do not even think I'll breed my four girls because they have more females in who are the same - stunted growth, and are only irridescent, or have zero color. I don't like whoever breeds them :(
Old 11-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #17 
Luimeril

have you thought about buying from aquabid? sometimes, you can find breeders like Chard, who don't charge an arm and a leg for their bettas. buying from the country you're from is alot cheaper, too. that's why i chose Chard. :V if you lived down here, in the US, i'd suggest him to you. x-x but, you live up in Canada. i think there's a few good canadian sellers on Aquabid. you just gotta look. :V
Old 11-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Yeah there is one I found on there that said "only ships within Canada" which then skips like three costs. Which is pretty nice :) I'm just being picky lol. Only a white, or yellow female is what I want to go for...
Old 11-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #19 
Luimeril

i do want to breed Sniper. my pretty marble veiltail boy. :V he's what veils need! i was MORE than willing to spend $16 total on him, because he's just... amazingly perfect. i'm positive his babies would sell. :V maybe i'll find him a beautiful blue marble HM girlfriend. that way, amazing veils, and maybe deltas. :3

i understand being picky. :V ya gotta be, when it comes to these things~!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

Definitely!!! Lol. I mean El Dorado has the color AND finnage? I don't even think he came from the same supplier really. Otherwise we would have had reds, oranges, and a few weird ones. But they came before he did. Whoever had him took very good care of him :) And, he is friendly.

Omg I'd buy one of your fry if I could xD