Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #1 
ArcticRain

Should I get a 5 or 10 gallon tank? Glass or Acrylic?

After some long consideration i have decided to upgrade my betta's tank. Yay for upgrades!! I plan to upgrade to either a 5 or 10 gallon. Right now my betta is in a 2.5 gallon tank, so i'm sure he will love having more room to swim!

I plan to leave the tank un-filtered and un-cycled. I'm fine with having to do more water changes. In the 5 gallon i would do 3-50% water changes a week and 1-100% water change every two weeks. In the 10 gallon i would do 2-50% water changes every week and a 100% water change once a month. Is this a good plan? Should i do more water changes then this?

I went today to go look at possible tanks and compare prices. All the tanks at Petco were too expensive, and i dont have a Petsmart. I went to Wal-Mart next and found a 5 and 10 gallon tank, both in my price range. But, they were glass. I have never used glass tanks so im a bit worried.
Is there anything i should know about glass tanks? Anything i should be worried about?
I think the brand was Tetra although the box said something like Aqua-Culture. Is this a good brand? They had acrylic tanks on their website but having seen all the bad reviews about their shipping I really don't think i want to do that. What do you think?

Sorry for all the questions! I just want my betta to be happy!
Thanks in advance!
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:53 AM   #2 
BettaBuddy101

Firstly, it's great that you're upgrading - your betta sure will enjoy the extra space :)

In my opinion, if you can afford the 10 gallon, go for the 10 gallon. As well as having the most space, it would also mean you'd be able to have tankmates if you wanted, 6 pygmy cories or so would do great in there.

Why not filter it though? Filters aren't expensive, and would mean you'd only have to do a 20% water change once a week and would generally make the tank a healthier environment. As for cycling, does your 2.5 gallon have a filter? If it does, and you get a filter for the new tank, simple put the filter media from the 2.5 into the new filter. If you have space left over, just put some new media in. This will maintain the bacteria your old tank had, and would eradicate the need for a cycle. You'd be able to add your betta as soon as everything settled, so possibly later that day. One other question, are you heating it? Bettas should ideally have temperatures that don't fall below 76

As for the glass-acrylic thing, I've had both. Where acrylic easily scratches, glass doesn't tend to, though glass is generally heavier than acrylic. I wouldn't worry about the choice between the two personally, it's unlikely to make a large difference to the tank from what I can see. Obviously, glass probably breaks easier (I've never tried), so that might be something to look out for
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #3 
ArcticRain

Thank you!
First off, yes! I do indeed have a heater!

The reason I don't like to cycle my tanks is because I'm new to the world of aquariums and the whole topic of cycling really scares me! I know it's not that hard and that it's easy to cycle your tank and that it will be less work for me, I just don't want to do it. I am perfectly fine with having to do more water changes. I have read on this forum that its ok to have an unfiltered tank so that's what I'm going to do.
I really wasn't trying to sound mean or anything. I was just explaining why I don't want a filter.

I always thought glass was stronger the acrylic. Is it not? I really don't want my tank cracking or bowing under all the wait!

I still don't know what size of tank to get... I mean 10g is huge and he would love the space. But is it too big for one fish? The 5g is great, but why not just get bigger since bigger is better? I'm just can't choose....

Last edited by ArcticRain; 11-19-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #4 
TaraVictor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRain View Post
The reason I don't like to cycle my tanks is because I'm new to the world of aquariums and the whole topic of cycling really scares me! I know it's not that hard and that it's easy to cycle your tank and that it will be less work for me, I just don't want to do it.
I thought the same when I first started out. The cycling process was indeed daunting for me. In fact, there were times where I stalled the process because I kept changing my filter without keeping the existing filter media. Very smart of me.

My tank took just a little over a month to cycle, and mine's a 5 gallon. I think it can take longer depending on the size of the tank.

I just find it more convenient to have a filter. But as you said, you don't need to have one. Your betta can be just as healthy without one. You'd just need to do more water changes to ensure the water is kept clean. So long as you don't mind doing it, that's the main thing.

As for sizes, for me, I'd personally only go for a 10 gallon if I was planning on adding more fish other than my betta. I'd say a 5 gallon gives them enough room to swim around and be just as happy. It also depends on how much space you have. If you don't have much space, I'd say a 5 gallon would be the best bet, but it's up to you.

Just thought I'd give my two cents. Good luck on whatever you decide. =)

Last edited by TaraVictor; 11-19-2011 at 12:41 PM.
TaraVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #5 
ArcticRain

Thank you! I won't be adding anyhing else to my tank but my betta, so I don't know. I am measuring the place the tank will go now to see how much room each size will take up. Hopefully that will help me decide.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:46 AM   #6 
ArcticRain

I went ahead and bought a 5 gallon! He is loving all the new space and the new log hiding spot I bought him! I plan to put in some more silk plants and maybe a terra cotta pot or something. Either way he loves his new tank!

Old 11-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #7 
TaraVictor

I like it. It looks like he's really happy in there already. =)
TaraVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #8 
ArcticRain

Thank you!