Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #1 
inkrealm

so I think my fish tried to become snugglebuddies with the filter intake? x^o

yeah~ anyone else ever had this issue? I came home and 95% of his top fin was hanging on by a tiny thread... waiting for it to fall off ;-;' at least they don't hurt in the fins.... this ever happened to you guys? I didn't think he'd be that dumb " I swear if this stupid guy makes it two years.... <3
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #2 
bettafish15

An aquarium sponge stuffed in the intake will stop that, it happened to me a couple times :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #3 
inkrealm

bettafish15 - you think it would still flow okay and keep the tank cleanish? x:
it's not very strong, before he spent awhile in the hospital tank he never had an issue... and something tells me he'll not try again haha ;^;" but might that kill the bacteria or stop/jam the flow or keep it from "cleaning" right or something? >^<
for intelligent fish they make such bizarre, ridiculous mistakes ;u; <3
Old 11-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Nope! Just leave a smidgen of room at the top of the intake and you're good. It'll even give the good bacteria more places to grow :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

The problem has nothing to do with how smart this Betta is or isn't....it has everything to do with the closed system itself.....The long heavy fins and water movement don't always mix well....its a bit like you swimming with a 50 pound weight tied to your back as you try to swim against the current to keep from going over the waterfall........in other words...the Betta didn't really have a choice-he didn't make a mistake......now its up to you if the Betta makes 2 years or not since you have total control over his environment......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #6 
inkrealm

bettafish15-
ohh, I think I see ^-^ yeah, I might try that if it seems to be an issue... thankyou :3

I'm glad to know others have had this problem. I didn't see it but it's the only thing that could have happened to him... curse his being so in love with tiny spaces x.x

@OFL
oh I meant it in an endearing way ^-^; the output current is HIGHLY baffled and he lived in the tank with the intake for AGES never had a single problem or got sucked towards it when he was swimming... so it was never an issue.
I think maybe it was the lack of current for awhile... when he got back in it he wasn't used to it anymore and he had to readjust... the output is as baffled as it can be though and the intake as I said isn't strong and had never been an issue before... I have the heater near it at an angle though... he likes swimming through small spaces, he used to weave around his thermo in the hospital tank... and I think he tried to do the same with the heater although he had never done so previously... only this put him brushing against the intake, in which case it naturally did pull him then... he has NEVER gotten caught in it before so I don't think it has a serious pull unless he squishes right against it...
I meant dumb as in silly or goofy, not as in an idiot... I was by no means "insulting" him x.x

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-20-2011 at 05:18 PM.