Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #1 
BettaBuddy101

Question Thoughts on setup needed :)

Posted earlier, but the picture wasn't showing up, so I'm going to try again.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2u5rimo&s=5

This is my bettas 7.4 US gallon tank. It also houses 4 pygmy cories, and and 3 cherry shrimp. I'm aware the cories were a risk in that size tank, but after recieving mixed advice online, my lfs said a small group would be fine. Would they be better having 1 or 2 more in there?

The plants are silk and the bogwood has some anubias growing on there.

I'd like to know if you've got any advice for my setup. What would improve it? Do you think something doesn't work in it? Any thoughts welcome

Thanks
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I think your tank is over stocked, personally I would not have that many fish in a 7.5 gallon unless it was heavily planted. Perhaps consider upgrading further for more space for your cories to move around in? Three gallons doesnt seem like much, but it can hugely offset your levels as well as provide your bottom dwellers with more space- and more space to run away from your betta in.

Btw, pic isnt showing up still. Consider using photobucket, it works well here.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #3 
BettaBuddy101

Unfortunately I'm unable to upgrade at the moment due to space and money. I'll try another image host. Fortunately, My betta doesn't seem the least bit bothered about my cories, though I did consider adding some more plants to the setup sometime.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...111500716.jpg/
Does this work?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

What a beautiful tank :) I have to agree with the above poster, your tank is overstocked. I would not add more fish, but look for an upgrade as well. Adding plants would be good, as it will cut down on the ammonia a bit and you're tank is going to need it. I still love this tank!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:12 AM   #5 
ollief9

I agree with anyone else, a larger tank is needed. Only slightly larger however, around 40 litres.

Are you from the UK? I've seen those kind of tanks (AquaOne) in my LFS
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:16 AM   #6 
BettaBuddy101

Thanks for the replies and the nice comment pitluvs :) Do you think the addition of a few more silk plants would improve the tank? I'd look for live, only I'm not sure about adding another piece of bogwood to the setup for some java fern/anubias. Any ideas? Thanks

As for the overstocking, I did recieve mixed advice online. Some forums said I'd get away with it, some didn't. Yahoo Answers also revealed mixed opinions, so I just left it down to my lfs. They did say that if I had wanted more cories, a larger tank would have been needed, but I'd get away with a group of 4 as such. I'll monitor the tank closely. Currently I'm doing 20% weekly water changes, should I increase this?

My betta seems pretty happy anyway, he's covering the top with bubble nests

Last edited by BettaBuddy101; 11-20-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

YES, YES AND YES! That seems quite low! I would recommend not allowing your levels over or anywhere near .5ppm for fear of a spike. Monitor it often. I cant recommend how often because I cant monitor the tank for you, but I would consider doing more than only 20%/week (once a week, correct?)

I would implore you to consider adding more live plants- probably stem plants to offset your ammonia and such. Anubias isnt so much of a "heavy hitter" in terms of ammonia. A smiple line of something like anacharis would look nice and could skirt the back of the tank.

Also, do you have a filter in this tank? I cant see one.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #8 
BettaBuddy101

Yes, the filter and heater are both partially hidden by the plants. I'll look into anvharus.

Tags
7.4 gallon, betta, opinion, setup, thoughts