Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2011, 03:36 AM   #1 
rckstr1253

Does anyone else feel guilty.....

Does anyone else feel guilty when seeing all those betta fish in cups and such at Petco? I feel bad everytime but can't afford to keep purchasing another. Plus I am not suppose to be buying anymore(I live home with my parents) and they told me no more after I got the 2nd.........2 more betta's later, one of which my parents don't know about yet, and I am thinking about buying another one. So I guess my question is, what should I do? hahaha It's an addiction/curse, yet feels right to be doing ;)
rckstr1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #2 
Laki

I know what you mean! The LPS here has been keeping bettas in small round 'decorative' bowls and tall vases to demonstrate all the ways bettas can decorate your home. They don't keep them in plastic cups but they also don't clean the bowls. The fish lay in their own filth without motivation to move or flare, they nip their fins and some just die miserably without ever knowing a nice warm tank. There were 2 dalmatians I wanted but kept telling myself I didn't want to care for another small tank and definitely don't want to care for a big tank with my back problems... So last week I was in there and the 2 dalmatians among the rest were lethargic, pale and skinny. It's been on my mind.

Then my sister went in there and was looking at the betta's bc she wants another one and told me that the supplier they usually get bettas from was destroyed by flood in Singapore and that they weren't getting anymore in for a while (YAY!) but they are selling plakats for 40$!!! O.o

The hypocrisy and discusting care. I keep meaning to call the manager about it.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #3 
Salamandair

Haha, you got bit by the betta bug!

It is very addicting to get and care for them, but very sad to see them in such small cups. A lot of people have different reasons for not getting any more, either due to no more room, money, they have too many already...the list goes on. For me, It's because I have no room and because I'm moving into an apartment in a month or two. I already have two, so no more until I get my own place xD
Salamandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #4 
heatherp

I have just one and would love to have another because they are so great to watch.

However, I if you are buying a fish just to "rescue" it, you are convincing the store that they can continue to make money doing what they are doing. If you really want them to improve the way they treat the fish, write a letter to the owner of the store telling them your concerns and that you won't be making any more purchases until they improve their practices.
heatherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #5 
Brian10962001

My girlfriend pouts every time we go in there because it makes her sad to see the ones that aren't healthy. There's a steel grey plakat at Petco in Greenwood that has been there for 2 months. I'm so tempted to buy him, all of his brothers died or were sold, he's the ONLY betta that I saw when I first went in to still be hanging in there and thriving. Plus he's pretty! The only thing that stopped me last time is the cost, they want 13 bucks for the plakats and 4 for the veil tails.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #6 
Brian10962001

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherp View Post
I have just one and would love to have another because they are so great to watch.

However, I if you are buying a fish just to "rescue" it, you are convincing the store that they can continue to make money doing what they are doing. If you really want them to improve the way they treat the fish, write a letter to the owner of the store telling them your concerns and that you won't be making any more purchases until they improve their practices.

THIS! All of the small personal owned stores would have the same bettas for ages in nice clean tiny bowls. I can remember this from when I was young. It's the employees not giving a crap about the fish, or having to much busy work to do the proper water changes.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #7 
nel3

it sucks that they are kept in such conditions but modern society has an over-population of all sorts of animals chosen to be pets. it would be nice if they stopped over breeding any animals but there's isnt too much that can be done quickly with a small audience.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #8 
purplemuffin

I feel guilty in the short term, but positive in the long term. By not purchasing bettas and by teaching others around me not to purchase bettas, one of our small pet stores finally realized they had to make a choice--stop selling bettas, or spend the money to take better care of them. They made the choice to stop selling them, hooray! They couldn't afford to care for them properly, so I'm okay with that.

But the point is, with enough complaints and by actually not purchasing the fish, you can end up saving the lives of hundreds more.. I don't know how many deaths we prevented by getting them to stop selling bettas. That store..they were awful to their fish.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #9 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian10962001 View Post
*SNIP*. Plus he's pretty! The only thing that stopped me last time is the cost, they want 13 bucks for the plakats and 4 for the veil tails.
Man, the only store here that I know sells plakats sell them for 39.99 VT's are 9.99 and CT's are 14.99. . . *steps away slowly*
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #10 
GunsABlazin

I hate seeing them...and i keep telling myself that im going to set up a huge multi-pool heated pond and let them go in that.
>.<
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote