Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #11 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
Sorry if I'm being picky, but I had a question about this part I read about Chytrid fungus.

Since the speed of the infection deapends on temperature of the water, should I quarintine longer for warmer water? For example, 3 months if the water if 75 degrees but 4 months if the water is 80 degrees. I've been thinking about setting up a 10 gallon for 2 -3 ADFs and want to make sure I quarintine long enough in case 1 of 3 frogs are sick. Since I'm in the US I just want to make sure getting a ADF now won't end in heart ache. T_T

Besides, if QT is really 3 months, I could pick up the frogs now and have them in 3 gallon kitter keepers while I save money up for the 10 gallon set up. Even if the frogs get a month head start on their 10 gallon permanent homes, cycling could still finish before QT time is up. XD

Since the fungus prefers cooler water, you would actually be better off QTing them in cool water, to be able to tell if they are infected faster. Just keep them at the low end of their desired temp range for the QT period to watch.

You can avoid the three month QT all together just by buying from a breeder who ONLY breeds ADFs, or can guarantee that the ADFs have never come in contact with any other breed of aquatic frog (such as ACFs).

If you can only buy from a chain store, they QT is a must, i have tried to buy from a certain chain pet store ending in 'ETCO' and beginning with 'P', and they all have died in days. Only when buying from either small mom and pop stores, or local (even having them shipped) breeders have i had any luck with keeping them alive.

I hope this helped, though it may have ended up being confusing, because i am good at that. XD Good luck!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #12 
ManInBlack2010

this thread is extremely helpful!! i right now have a female in a 3.5g with one male betta i know it's a bit small but now i have plans to move her into my 5.5g with my other male and buy a male adf for her so she has a friend. I wanted to know what your thoughts were on this. I think she would enjoy the 5.5g much more than the 3.5g - the 3.5g is a little tall and i think she has trouble getting to the top. the 5.5g is much lower and longer. I'm not sure how Bocephus will react to the frogs since i just got him today. I want him to adjust to the tank for maybe a week or two before i add Dixie and then get my male. I didn't do a qt on dixie and she has been perfectly healthy so far. Ate the second day she was here but is extremely shy and there are some days when i can't even find her she's that good at hiding. do you think her in the 5.5 with a male and Bocephus would work better or do i need to get her her own tank? i really don't have the room for another tank...
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #13 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack2010 View Post
this thread is extremely helpful!! i right now have a female in a 3.5g with one male betta i know it's a bit small but now i have plans to move her into my 5.5g with my other male and buy a male adf for her so she has a friend. I wanted to know what your thoughts were on this. I think she would enjoy the 5.5g much more than the 3.5g - the 3.5g is a little tall and i think she has trouble getting to the top. the 5.5g is much lower and longer. I'm not sure how Bocephus will react to the frogs since i just got him today. I want him to adjust to the tank for maybe a week or two before i add Dixie and then get my male. I didn't do a qt on dixie and she has been perfectly healthy so far. Ate the second day she was here but is extremely shy and there are some days when i can't even find her she's that good at hiding. do you think her in the 5.5 with a male and Bocephus would work better or do i need to get her her own tank? i really don't have the room for another tank...
I think it is great that you want to get her her a buddy! :D

5.5 gallons for two frogs and one betta will be pushing the bioload, not saying dont do it, just be very certain to keep up with water changes and maintenance. ^^;

I usually say 3gal - 1 frog, 5gal - 2 frogs, 10 gal - 3-4 frogs. But those are just guidelines, and by no means the law in ADF keeping. XD

Hope that helped! Any more questions just give me a shout, i am here nearly every day!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #14 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
Since the fungus prefers cooler water, you would actually be better off QTing them in cool water, to be able to tell if they are infected faster. Just keep them at the low end of their desired temp range for the QT period to watch.

You can avoid the three month QT all together just by buying from a breeder who ONLY breeds ADFs, or can guarantee that the ADFs have never come in contact with any other breed of aquatic frog (such as ACFs).

If you can only buy from a chain store, they QT is a must, i have tried to buy from a certain chain pet store ending in 'ETCO' and beginning with 'P', and they all have died in days. Only when buying from either small mom and pop stores, or local (even having them shipped) breeders have i had any luck with keeping them alive.

I hope this helped, though it may have ended up being confusing, because i am good at that. XD Good luck!
Unfortunately, my only options are Petco and Petsmart. There used to be a local Aquarium near me, but the economy wasn't very nice to it. So, I'm stuck with the long QT time. T_T

I'm nowhere near starting at this point. I may ask for supplies for Christmas, but the frogies are on hold. Thanks for the tips. Now I know how to plan everything better and the general timeline I'll use. :D
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #15 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
I think it is great that you want to get her her a buddy! :D

5.5 gallons for two frogs and one betta will be pushing the bioload, not saying dont do it, just be very certain to keep up with water changes and maintenance. ^^;

I usually say 3gal - 1 frog, 5gal - 2 frogs, 10 gal - 3-4 frogs. But those are just guidelines, and by no means the law in ADF keeping. XD

Hope that helped! Any more questions just give me a shout, i am here nearly every day!
ok thanks! i think i am going to try it i'll just to be sure to do atleast a 50% water change once a week unless you think more might be needed. and i will definitely come here with anymore questions :)
Old 11-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #16 
kfryman

I have heard of ADFs eating bettas, is this true or what?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #17 
Rabbitkind

I have an ADF (Slick) in my 10 gallon tank. He's a skinny little thing and comes out mainly at night. But all the other times, he just hides inside his little house at night. Occasionally, he'll peek out the windows, but otherwise, I don't see him much. I've been monitoring my other fish along with him.
I'm concerned he's not eating. I try to put the food inside of his house (since that's where he is most of the time) but still, I don't know if he's eating it. Darned hiding places.

Any tips? I'm scared that he's starving. I'm still new at this so I've got paranoia. I have the HBH bits that you're talking about and also a sinking granule. I need to find the bloodworms though.
Rabbitkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #18 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
I have heard of ADFs eating bettas, is this true or what?

lol, that is completely false! ADFs rarely get more than two inches long.

What you are thinking of are ACFs, or African CLAWED frogs. They get big enough to eat good sized goldfish.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #19 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitkind View Post
I have an ADF (Slick) in my 10 gallon tank. He's a skinny little thing and comes out mainly at night. But all the other times, he just hides inside his little house at night. Occasionally, he'll peek out the windows, but otherwise, I don't see him much. I've been monitoring my other fish along with him.
I'm concerned he's not eating. I try to put the food inside of his house (since that's where he is most of the time) but still, I don't know if he's eating it. Darned hiding places.

Any tips? I'm scared that he's starving. I'm still new at this so I've got paranoia. I have the HBH bits that you're talking about and also a sinking granule. I need to find the bloodworms though.

The best thing i can think of to make sure he is eating, is to put him in his own container at feeding times.

It may be stressful for him at first, being chased and caught, but soon he will learn that it means food, and come to you.

The pellets are great, but bloodworms really are needed for full diet. Male frogs do tend to stay skinny their whole lives. Females will get fat though. lol So cute.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #20 
ManInBlack2010

i'm having problems getting my female to eat too, my male VT she's with right now is a bully and i'm gonna move her probably this weekend in hopes that my other male is more docile. He's not bulling her persay but he gobbels up her food. I started trying to target feed her today with a pair of long tweezers and a terra cotta saucer and it went alright. She ate one pellet before Rebel saw what we were doing and came down and gobbled them up - i even poked the brat with my finger and pushed him away and he just bit me and continued to eat the food... gonna try targeting with blood worms tomorrow in hopes she'll eat those better