Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #1 
bettalover2033

Getting In Trouble By The Government?

Well this is more of a question. Anyway. A while back, I asked to volunteer at my very small LPS and I said that I dont want to get paid, nor do I need to get paid.

He and his best friend (girl) own the whole tiny little store. (Just if your wondering) and he said no because he could get in trouble with the government. I was asking how and why and he told me, but i just cant remember what he said.

Can anyone tell me how he can get in trouble of letting me just volunteer there?I am still in school and I used to go there EVERYDAY. To see how the fish are doing and if he had any new ones.

Anyway, How can he get in trouble? I only want to volunteer not get paid. Though if he was to want to pay me I wouldn't mind, but I would mostly just want to come in and help out with anything I could. I dont care about getting paid.

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It may be related to labor laws, minor children and liability issues....even if your folks said it was okay and signed a waiver...if you got injured they (pet shop) could be held accountable both legally and financially......its a big risk for them to take in todays world with all the laws, rules and lawsuit happy people.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

Oh I see now. And I remember him saying that it had to do with Child Labor and how the laws are set up.

I think it is ridiculous how things have changed in todays living. You cant even volunteer somewhere because many people are greedy with money and everything else.

I really would love to just come into the store and help him out because he is usually there all alone with no help and does it all by himself.

Thanks a lot OFL!! You helped me a ton!

-BL2033
Old 11-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #4 
Rosso1011

I took a law class once so I'm somewhat good with some of these questions. I think it comes down to volunteering for a private facility vs. public facility. I could be wrong. I'll give you the link (or reliable source) for the Fair Labor Standards Act.
http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/docs/volunteers.asp

Last edited by Rosso1011; 11-22-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #5 
bettalover2033

Wow thanks Rosso1011 that really helped! I will definitely show that to him and see if I can start volunteering there. I would love to help him take care of the fish. Also that is one store that I thankfully see him caring for them and they are healthy too!

-BL2033
Old 11-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I wanted to volunteer at our pound. But even with my parents saying okay, they would be held accountable if say... one of the cats scratched me and I got a severe infection from it. They'd be fined. :(
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

They'd be fined even if the parents didn't want to press charges? Also it is just a pet store. Mostly fish and thats all i wanted to volunteer for.

-BL2033
Old 11-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Most shelters will let you volunteer if you have parental permission and your parents are present with you while you volunteer. Here it's 12+ without supervision but you need to have a Volunteer Manager present under 18.

And you're parents may not charge the shelter, but the shelters bosses can and the public can bring it to attention that under aged persons are handling shelter animals without supervision. Gets a shelter in hot water lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #9 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
They'd be fined even if the parents didn't want to press charges? Also it is just a pet store. Mostly fish and thats all i wanted to volunteer for.

-BL2033
Doesn't matter if your parents don't want to press charges, say for example, someone is in the process of cleaning up a water spill (very common in fish department) and you come around the corner, don't see the puddle, slip and fall, breaking some bone (lets just say leg). You will need emergency services and that probably means a report has to be filled out. I don't know the exact procedure, but if they say there has been an accident at a local pet shop, odds are that the police will be called out there. They fill out a report and the pet shop gets fined. Mind you, this is HYPOTHETICAL, but that might help put things in perspective.

If the officer doesn't fill out his report, he will be in trouble. So, you can't blame the officer either.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #10 
bettalover2033

I see Rosso1011, thank you. That makes sense now.

-BL2033