Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #1 
Larsa

Turkey Day for Bettas!?

Thanksgiving is my FAVORITE holiday! :P I am thinking about fasting my bettas today and giving them a hearty delicious meal tomorrow with bloodworms, beefheart, and daphnia. Without over-feeding them! I want them to enjoy thanksgiving too! Does this seem like a good idea?

Also.... I was wondering if bettas can have tiny pieces of turkey 0.0 I want them to try a taste ( I KNOW those darn piggies/fatties will eat that) LoLz. I swear my fishies will eat anything I give them. Bettas can eat beef, but is it safe to give them fully cooked turkey too on this special day? Im so curious! xP

Last edited by Larsa; 11-23-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #2 
nel3

im far from an expert on this but i dont know if all the chemicals/salts/fats etc we put into the meats we eat are the best for betta. if the turkey is free range and natural products then it might be posible given the final ingredients in the meal, if its store bought turkey then even less chance.
nel3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #3 
Nutt007

The whole fasting and feasting thing sounds nice, but remember, fish are not humans and they shouldn't eat the meats we eat. I hope you have a nice turkey day anyways. :)
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #4 
Myates

I would stick to the three you mentioned- feed as a breakfast/lunch/dinner setting as to not over feed. I'm sure they will love it to no ends!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

That sounds like a great idea, minus the turkey part. Fish digestive systems evolved to digest fish and bug protein. Not bird protein. If you have access to one, you could try giving him some live mosquito larvae. I can imagine that would be a real treat for a betta. Much better than turkey.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:27 AM   #6 
bettalover2033

I dont think that is a great idea. Also I have never heard of a fish, (let alone a betta) being okay to eat any kind of beef either.

So until there are any facts about this, i wouldnt do it. These are just suggestions and if you have any questions like these, visit the betta fish emergencies section and look for OFL (Oldfishlady) she will be able to help you out and tell you if its safe or not.

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #7 
Indyfishy

it's not a good idea to feed your fish turkey, I imagine it would make them pretty constipated at the very least. Just feed them the other stuff, that's special enough =) they won't mind, I don't think bettas celebrate thanksgiving X)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #8 
bettalover2033

Agreed! Maybe they would love to celebrate Christmas with you but not Thanksgiving lol.

-BL2033
Old 11-24-2011, 02:40 AM   #9 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
I dont think that is a great idea. Also I have never heard of a fish, (let alone a betta) being okay to eat any kind of beef either.

So until there are any facts about this, i wouldnt do it. These are just suggestions and if you have any questions like these, visit the betta fish emergencies section and look for OFL (Oldfishlady) she will be able to help you out and tell you if its safe or not.

-BL2033
Beef hearts are commonly fed to quite a few different species of tropical fish. I am not 100% sure on bettas, but I think it is fine for them too.. Might need to be raw though?
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:32 AM   #10 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Beef hearts are commonly fed to quite a few different species of tropical fish. I am not 100% sure on bettas, but I think it is fine for them too.. Might need to be raw though?
Is it better raw? And how many times can you feed it to them it?

-BL2033