Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #1 
inkrealm

anything else I can do for him?

my boy's always had fin issues, even in absolutely pristine water...
about two nights ago he got a sudden and vicious case of what seemed to be finrot... since he had just had a water change, I removed his plants and part of his gravel ( as it was a little thick in some areas ) wondering if they could be harboring the culprit... I then did an over 50% water change with two teaspoons FW AQ Salt ( API ) to the gallon and API Stress Coat+ Conditioner with Prime. the rot briefly stopped, but by the next day or so it had eaten a rip right down to his body. since I had JUST changed the water again a few hours before ( filtered five gallon ) I gave up and moved him into the cup he came home in. he's now in there with pre-treated water, 2 teaspoons FW AQ Salt to the gallon, Prime, and Stress Coat again, floating in the tank... this morning his tail was shorter, but he ate some of what fell off so I can't tell if it was just the rays falling off or if it's still eating...

here's a picture and video of him last night if you want to see it...
his tail is shorter now though.
also the fin rot is only attacking his TAIL, the top fin was due to a run in with the filter intake and HAS NOT BEEN EFFECTED BY THE FIN ROT. please don't confuse them ><
is there a chance this is a parasite since it's only attacking the tail?...
is there anything else I can do for him now?...

picture
video

massively appreciated.....

edit: if you see where that little notch in his tail is... picture that down chopped off, and that's about how it is now... maybe a little thinner too... do you think it could have fallen off or do you think it's still eating?.... this really worries me if it ate all that off.... it should have stopped progressing or at least slowed down with the two teaspoons AQ salt and new water, right?.... :/

please help if you know anything else I can do... :/
have not used medicine yet as I know it's a last resort... do have Maracyn ( SP? ) I and II on hand though....

if you have any treatment advice please include dosage instructions if it's not too much trouble.... never used anything but fresh water and AQ salt treatments....

EDIT: it is now attacking his bottom fin.. ten minutes ago it looked fine, now the edges are all tattered and fraying.... I've never had a case move this fast or in this way.... does anyone know what's going on and how to stop it?... I've just been adding in more fresh water when this happened... I'm literally in the middle of a water change, this is not ammonia....

it's just falling off in flakes and chunks....

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-24-2011 at 01:46 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #2 
inkrealm

should I try the medicine?... I don't know what this is, I'm right in the middle of adding fresh water treated with FW AQ Salt and it has just WORSENED....

EDIT: it has just now started attacking the top fin.... the new growth is gone, there's hardly anything left now...
Old 11-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #3 
inkrealm

if there's nothing more I can do for him please tell me so I can know.... I don't know what this stuff will do if it reaches his body.... and it's working pretty well towards it....
Old 11-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #4 
CreativePotato

When my boy had fin rot (not quite as agressive) I attacked it by using a bit of aquarium salt and MelaFix and PimaFix at the same time.
I'm no expert, but I would just keep an eye on him and be prepared for the worst. :( Good luck treating it! <33
CreativePotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #5 
inkrealm

thanks... yeah, it seems to have stopped again, so I'll have to see tomorrow.... I'm trying not to get too upset because I know he's always had issues with his fins even in pristine conditions and I've done and am doing all I can.... I appreciate the feedback... <3
Old 11-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #6 
CEC

Would you update us on your betta's condition? Have you started medication yet? Sorry you are going through this. I also have a betta with fin issues and it is difficult!
CEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #7 
inkrealm

CEC- I appreciate the feedback <3 I hadn't had anything to report over the last day or so and have been away just watching him and mixing new water so I apologize for the lack... ^-^; I am happy to report now though that his bottom fin has stopped getting worse ( not better yet ), and although there's very little left of the tail I am excited to say it is improving greatly ^-^ the area that got eaten up to his body has some clear new growth that's starting the tail back ^-^ the edges are following suit, and the top fin that got caught in the intake has gotten it's regrowth back and is doing well again as well. <3 he could still take a turn >^> but it has at least stopped attacking and it is currently looking up. ^-^ I noticed him chasing his tail and biting yesterday, but as it's never been in his nature before I'm hoping the cup is so tiny he just keeps seeing it and thinking it's another fish.
he also surprised me this evening with a pretty blue shimmer to his fins, even the injured ones oddly enough :P he's a pet store betta and his colors have always been dull, so I've never gotten to see this on him before and I'm very hopeful he might finally be healing up from everything ^-^ I am thinking of doing two 50's a week instead of one once get him back in his old tank though, in hopes of avoiding this again since he seems pretty ridiculously prone...
I'm sorry to hear you have similar issues.... it is very hard, but a little easier when you realize what's going on isn't your fault :( I hope your boy is doing well too :( <3

edit: also no, I didn't use the medication... I was waiting to see if I couldn't stop it naturally first, since the meds are important to avoid if at all possible... :( I just upped the usual dose on 1 teaspoon fresh water aquarium salt per gallon to 2 ( the max is three ) and kept using API's Stress Coat+ and kept changing the water like hell xc I've also been adding in the water at around 80 degrees or a little higher, not sure if that helped kill it faster... it took a bit and a very huge hit ( I'll try to get new pictures tomorrow ) but the rot seems to have given up now... thank God it never started attacking his body... I use a turkey baster because his cup is so tiny that I'd otherwise have to remove him every water change, and I used some packaging tape to tape him to the side of the heated tank so it'd help his water temp, but not flip him over where he might drown ;-; <3

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-25-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #8 
CEC

So glad that he is improving! I hope he regrows beautiful fins!

I will probably be using aquarium salt next week for my betta for 10 days again with clean water and patience! He is a fin biter and I have added lots of fun things to his tank. I pulled out the fake plants and have real ones now! I think with time he will be fine!
Old 11-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #9 
inkrealm

thankyou! :D <3

ohh, yikes, haha, I've always been afraid of getting a fin biter... with the exception of these fin issues I guess my boy has been pretty easy on me :3 he never complains about his food or bites his fins or shows any aggression ^-^ he sulks A TON when we travel and are away from him x3; but he's pretty teddybearish I guess :P he also likes acting sick around me <T^T> but I can usually tell the difference by asking my mom to interact with him and hiding where he won't notice me, lol.
I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have a fin biter ^-^; I hope the new add-ins will help entertain him though =^-^= you can surround the outiside of the tank with stuff too, if you have space, and switch the items out and re-organize them and such so his outward surroundings are always changing. another fun thing you might try is those gel window clingies :3 they sell them at places like Target ( in the dollar section most times, in fact :3 ), they have some bright colors and fun shapes and as long as you're careful to pull both sides when moving them so they don't tear they're pretty nice ^-^ they come off of glass easy and don't leave marks. ^-^ though you do have to keep paper away from them xc &if you do tear them you can still use them, ^-^; you could get a pack pf those some time just to see what he thinks of them :3 if he likes them it'd be another funthing to move around and switch out ^-^
I've also heard some bettas like pingpong balls :3 you'd have to make sure they were nontoxic though xc I got mine some plastic cat-toy balls ( the kind with a plastic bead inside instead of metal ), but he sortof ignores them, haha. I'm glad he's not doing too badly! :D

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-26-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #10 
CEC

Thanks for the ideas, Inkrealm! The other day I thought of those frames with rotating pictures.....I think I am going to put one next to his tank and he can see the piccies when I'm not there. These fish are too smart....it is kind of scary! I will also look in to the window gel things!
Thanks!