Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #1 
Bettabubble3

How do you kno if a filter is to strong!!

So my betta beauty is in a new tank 5.5 gallons with an aqua tech filter (it asks for the nUmber one filter cartridge but how Do I knowing it's to strong or not he looks like he's having trouble swimming help I turned it off because I don't want him I die I love him!
Bettabubble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #2 
Bettabubble3

I think it is to strong cause now he's just chill swimming before he wiggled how do I make it less stronger?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

You can baffle it. There is a sticky on here somewhere on how to do it. I don't use filters so i can't help

here it is
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

you may also want to read the one on the filter cycle if you dont know about it
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Quote:
-The "Fish In" Cycle

This is the least-preferred method of cycling. Essentially, it involves using live fish as your ammonia source. The benefit to this method is that you get to stock the tank immediately, but the problems associated with this method far outweigh that single benefit. Fish recommended for the "fish-in" cycle are usually hardy species but aren't always fish that you want to keep in your tank on a long-term basis so you have to deal with the hassle of removing them once the cycle is complete. Second, water changes must be performed on a regular basis (sometimes daily or even more often) in order to keep ammonia and nitrite levels low so that the fish you're using to cycle don't die. Finally, and most importantly, cycling with fish can be stressful or even deadly to the fish you're using to cycle. Unfortunately, many new aquarists are unaware of the aquarium cycle or its importance and are thus essentially forced to do a "fish-in" cycle. When using this method, you should only choose hardy species (zebra danios are a popular choice) in small numbers. Monitor ammonia and nitrite levels daily, performing water changes with a good water conditioner that neutralizes ammonia and nitrite (Seachem's Prime is a good choice) whenever ammonia or nitrite levels exceed 0.5 ppm (0.25ppm is an even safer number). After a few days the ammonia should spike. As the Nitrosomonas bacteria increase in number the ammonia level will start to peter out, replaced by nitrite. The Nitrospira bacteria will then start to grow but since these reproduce more slowly than Nitrosomonas, the nitrite portion of the cycle can take a deal longer than the ammonia portion. Eventually both ammonia and nitrite will continually test at 0 ppm and you'll start seeing a reading for nitrate. At this point the cycle is complete. It's usually best to wait a bit just to make sure there aren't any straggling ammonia or nitrite spikes but after some time you can begin adding more fish to the tank, a few fish every week or two until the tank is stocked. The most important part of the "fish-in" cycle are the ammonia and nitrite tests and the water changes that are needed whenever these readings rear their ugly heads.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-25-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #4 
Bettabubble3

Thankyou! It works
Old 11-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Just keep up with water changes so the ammonia and nitrates dont become lethal. I didnt know about it with my first 5 bettas :(
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote