Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #1 
newarkhiphop

Fish losing vision?

is this possible in bettas? , started noticing it like 2 weeks ago during feedings, but since he gets so hyper normally, i just thought shrugged it off , but more and more when i go for feeds soon as he "senses" me by the tank he gets all hyper but i now literally have to stick my finger in the tank to get him to the feeding hole and have to drop the pellets right in front of him and even them sometimes he doesnt go for them have to go through like 4 or 5 pellets before he eats on

he is in a one gallon
filtered
100% every sunday
heated

could it be something in the water?
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #2 
Luimeril

how old is he? some bettas have been known to go blind as they age. i had a 10 year old goldfish who did, but that's a goldfish.

do you ONLY change his water on sundays? some bettas have vision problems if their water quality's not good. that's what i think happened to my white HMPK, because he was mostly blind when i got him. some have been known to regain their sight after their water was kept clean, but not Theo.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

I personally have never heard of a betta *going* blind, but it definitely is a possibility to have a blind betta because of water quality.

Bettas are very sensitive to their environmental changes in their water. I think he should be in a tank that is at least 2 gallons to have a heater in it successfully. One gallons are know to *over heat* and kill the betta even when its at a stable temp. (Just so you know)

To answer your question with the best possible answer that I could give you though I need to ask one.

What do you mean by "feeding hole"? If there is not a strong current then i suggest not using this feeding hole. Is it a small floating ring that you drop the food in and he has to get it?

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #4 
newarkhiphop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
I personally have never heard of a betta *going* blind, but it definitely is a possibility to have a blind betta because of water quality.

Bettas are very sensitive to their environmental changes in their water. I think he should be in a tank that is at least 2 gallons to have a heater in it successfully. One gallons are know to *over heat* and kill the betta even when its at a stable temp. (Just so you know)

To answer your question with the best possible answer that I could give you though I need to ask one.

What do you mean by "feeding hole"? If there is not a strong current then i suggest not using this feeding hole. Is it a small floating ring that you drop the food in and he has to get it?

-BL2033
hey sorry yea by feeding hole i just mean the opening on the hood of the tank to drop food in,

had no idea the tank could over yet, i have a 7.5w heater in there now and my thermometer reads @ about 84 on most days

its just very weird like sometimes even when i go to feed him now instead of going to the front of the tank and swimming around he will swim in the back ( i think maybe looking at my reflection), them its like he realizes am at the front lol and even then like i said earlier i have drop about 3 pellets right infront of him before he even notices and eats one
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:00 AM   #5 
bettalover2033

Maybe can you get a video up? I can't think of anything that is wrong with him.

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote