Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #1 
NoSoxNoShoos

New to Betta Keeping, Need Recommendations Please :)

Hello,

I just moved into a new apartment and would love to have a Betta companion. I plan to only keep one Betta fish.

Please recommend a tank or aquarium. I have done quite a bit of online research, but have gotten confused by all the conflicting advice.

I would like to know the smallest size tank that would reasonably and healthfully house one Betta - also the necessary equipment it should have - i.e. heater (what type), filter....etc.

Any appropriate tank acessories such as plants, rocks, etc.

Thank you ever so much, NSNS
NoSoxNoShoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #2 
Bettabubble3

Well you should get a 5 gallon tank with a heater, a filter, and hood. Get gravel and many silk plants not plastic ones because those cut the fishs fins. And a cave or two. you can always get starter kits that come with everything minus the heater rocks and plants. Sorry i dont know specifics. and if the filter is to strong make a baffle. It is somewhere one the thread. Hope i helped.
Bettabubble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #3 
Jodah

Go to the betta care section, and read the stickies at the top. tons of useful info. Personally, I think 2.5g is the minimum for unfiltered tanks, with 5.5g being the minimum to use a filter with without having to baffle the snot out of it.

So, using the 2.5g as the minimum here's what I would use:

25w heater with adjustable temp. Betta's like 76-82* water.
1" to 1-1/2" gravel substrate, or 3/4" of sand substrate.
2-3 silk plants, or plastic if they are not sharp and relatively flexible. Stay away from hard plastic plants as they can tear a betta's fins.
A "cave" of sorts, anything from a basic coffee mug to a purpose made hideout. If you buy a premade, make sure there are no sharp edges as again, these can potentially tear the betta's fins.
A decent light, nothing crazy. I have DIY led's on my g/f's and my own tank, and they're dimmed to about 60%.
Water conditioner either Prime, or Tetra aquasafe + are what I now use. I did try the Nutrafin betta +, but you had to use way more of it than the other two.

Last edited by Jodah; 11-26-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: fix my fail typing and spelling errors. lol.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #4 
Silverfang

2.5 is what is suggested for minimum size, and is a nice size. A 5gal might be easier to heat, and that's the biggest consideration when increasing tank size.

Along with all the other advice, I'd suggest a floating thermometer (2-3$) instead of a strip. And if you can get your hands on a pair of nylons they work great to test decor. If it will snag pantyhose, it can tear a bettas fins.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #5 
EvilVOG

i have a small all-in-one tank i keep my male in, it's an eclipse system 3 (3 gallon), and i've seen other similar tanks from other manufacturers. Mine did not come with a built in heater however. I think the newer versions do tho.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #6 
bastage

If you have a Petco near by I think they still have the Marineland Eclipse 5 gallon hex for 36 bucks. They gives plenty of space & fairly affordable good looking package & includes your light & filtration. You still need a heater of which I would go with a 25w or 50w heater. & I prefer the suction cup thermometers in the back of the tank so its out of the way & you can always see it.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 AM   #7 
NoSoxNoShoos

Hi, thank you all. I have decided to go with the Hex 5 aquarium. I see that Petco is offering a holiday special online - ends sometime tonight I think.

I'd like to add everything I will need to set this up to my order - does it matter the brand or type of heater? (as long as its 25 or 50?)...

Also need thermometer with suction cup, food pellets.... silk plants, cave...anything else?

THANKS!
NoSoxNoShoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #8 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoxNoShoos View Post
Hi, thank you all. I have decided to go with the Hex 5 aquarium. I see that Petco is offering a holiday special online - ends sometime tonight I think.

I'd like to add everything I will need to set this up to my order - does it matter the brand or type of heater? (as long as its 25 or 50?)...

Also need thermometer with suction cup, food pellets.... silk plants, cave...anything else?

THANKS!
Stick to a name brand heater (aqueon, hagen, jager, etc). If your ordering online I would look on amazon.com. They often have the petco stuff cheaper then petco.com & you have much more selection for the accessories for less & you can still get it all on 1 order.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote