Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #1 
gidgeystartedit

Misleading Information?

So today I picked up a 2.5 gallon for my betta, Fiji, and on the instruction sheet it says this:

A As a 2.5 Gallon Aquarium: You can purchase (sold separately) an incandescent light and glass cover.

B As a Betta Aquarium: You can purchase glass partitions which divide the Aquarium into 3 sections. Each one holding a Betta. Then you can add a glass cover, which slows down evaporation and keeps the Bettas separated and an incandescent light so you can see their brilliant colors.

C As a reptile or small animal cage: For this purpose you may want the screen cover (sold separately). The screen cover locks into the Aquarium providing adequate ventilation and keeps you pet inside the Aquarium. And a reflector to keep reptiles warm.

B kinda makes me angry, I would keep one betta in these tanks.
But never three.
gidgeystartedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #2 
jeterfan3

It, too, upsets me greatly on how these bettas are sold in such tiny containers!
jeterfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #3 
afishpond

yes think so to but most of them do fine in them
afishpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #4 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishpond View Post
yes think so to but most of them do fine in them
Only temporarily. Though most pet stores don't change the water very much so they don't do fine :(
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #5 
afishpond

well small to me is a 1/2 gal. what have them in is just as you said hope know one would keep one in a cup for a long and clean water is the thing with keeping bettas.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #6 
turtle10

That is true about water, but I don't think bettas should be kept in anything less than 1.5-2 gallons, definitely not under 1 gallon.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #7 
gidgeystartedit

I go with turtle10 - nothing less than a gallon.

Today I went to a LPS and they kept them in little bowls and sold the bowls.
That made my day.
gidgeystartedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #8 
afishpond

know i have some in pet totes and they are less than a gal. and if you put plants in with them you have to watch the water in 3 or 4 day's it's bad even if you watch how you feed i'd add snail to help but they are just to small ,and to i think tank size depens on what you are do with your bettas to breeding and spawning them take a lot of room so some times small is all you can do and it fine you like to change water every 2 days for 50 fish or more . but for a pet i think any less than gal. is just a bad ideal.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #9 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishpond View Post
know i have some in pet totes and they are less than a gal. and if you put plants in with them you have to watch the water in 3 or 4 day's it's bad even if you watch how you feed i'd add snail to help but they are just to small ,and to i think tank size depens on what you are do with your bettas to breeding and spawning them take a lot of room so some times small is all you can do and it fine you like to change water every 2 days for 50 fish or more . but for a pet i think any less than gal. is just a bad ideal.
A snail would actually make the situation worse, snails don't do anything to water quality but make it worse lol. They poop a lot a probably wouldn't survive in something so small. Also, in anything less than a gallon you need to do water changes every day, not every 4 days. And when breeding you are supposed to do daily water changes as well so that the fish grows.

If you have your fish in less than a gallon I would suggest doing daily water changes and upgrading asap.

P.S. It would really help me understand you if you used punctuation! ;)
Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #10 
afishpond

the snail were pond snail i used them to eat uneaten food, you can do a water change every day with cups you don't need to do one every day with gal. or more of water. just use a water tester and you can see about how long it take for the water to have any changes in it but now that's me and i have well water.also i 've only raise about 100 bettas so not been doing this that long but have had fish for about 40 year's now . last spawn i did the water change to half the spawn every day other's i feed 4 to 5 times a day with live food just the same. the one i did a change didn't do any better for me they were smaller the other had more time to eat i think they just seemed happier . they were all raised in 1/2 jar's .