Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #1 
BetterBetta

I need an Algae Eater for my 10 gal!

So my ten gallon has one platy and a school of tetras. I recently noticed some algae growing on the walls of my tank, and I need some advice for keeping that in check. What would be the best algae eater? Snails or Shrimp? I know that a ten gallon might be too small for Otos, so fish are really not being considered. I just need help on what kind of shrimp/snails to get, and how many. Also, will I need to get algae wafers to feed them? Thanks, anything is greatly appreciated!
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What kind of algae, do you have live plants-if so-what species and number, type of lights-kelvin, watts and photoperiod, how long has the tank been setup, type of filter and how much and how often on the water changes.....while adding shrimp and/or snail can help with some species of algae-they won't eat every species and unless you really want to add them in the first place......manual removal of the algae with the weekly water changes is often the best method of control with some species of algae....but finding out the cause is important too with the understanding that some algae is normal and expected in a container of water that also has lights and nutrients...with some species being a sign of a healthy system that can also help the system look more natural by softening edges, growth of microorganism and filtration......some algae is good but in a closed system we have to control it to a degree too....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-27-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #3 
BetterBetta

I'm not sure what kind of algae it is-its a light brown to green though.. No live plants, and just lighting the tank came with. I have an Aqua-tech 5-15 power filter, change water 25% every week, 50% every 2 weeks. I can tell you this: I have daylight hitting one corner of the tank, yet algae is growing on all sides( just a bit). The whole thing about algae being good changes my perspective of it a bit, but it doesn't look very nice, as its growing in little patches.
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #4 
turtle10

I would personally just get an algae scraper. Snails produce a lot of waste and your tank is already fully stocked. Or just add an extra water change every week if you do get the snail.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

If this is a new system (less than 3mo) it may be diatoms and green spot type algae which is normal....once the tank matures the diatoms should resolve and if the system is mature it could be old light bulbs (over 1yr old) or lights not on long enough (less than 6hr)......

I would increase your regular water changes to 50% weekly with vacuum and manually remove the algae on all the viewing walls weekly and remove with the vacuum with the water change...non viewing walls should be left to grow.

If you want to add snails and/or shrimp...add them because you want them...as turtle has posted it will add to the bioload...but the weekly 50% with vacuum should take care of that along with 1-2 times a week supplemented feeding with algae wafer or blanched veggies....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote