Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #1 
Tailorrr

What should I do!

Is this fin rot or just messed up fins? I bought him this way today.. He's in a 29 gallon with some buddies here is a picture at this link http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...&type=1&ref=nf. Please help!
Tailorrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

Content is unavaliable...
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #3 
Tailorrr

Last edited by Tailorrr; 11-27-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Link didn't work
Old 11-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #4 
Tailorrr

https://picasaweb.google.com/1058712...eat=directlink here is a limk
Old 11-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #5 
Myates

Pretty boy- looks like tail biting. Fin rot you will see either black, crusty-type edging with the fins flaking off, or you will see white-cottony like substance on the edges.

Keep the tank cleaned weekly and he should be fine.

Oh, and cute little friend he has there :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #6 
Tailorrr

Why is he doing that though? just bored? Or pent up aggression?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #7 
Tailorrr

Why is he doing that though? Is he just bored? Or is it pent up aggression? He was at pet smart in one of those little cups.. i was going to buy him last week but the fish girl said it was fin rot.. which i didnt think it was.. so i went back and he was there again.. so i got him. No name yet.. maybe Monty..
Old 11-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #8 
Myates

They tailbite for any number of reasons.. we don't "officially" know, but we can make educated guesses..

Halfmoons and the larger fin types are notorious for biting their fins, as we believe the fins are heavy and cause drag and pretty much just annoy them.

Filters can be too strong, causing drag and the fins to be heavy.. so they will bite off their fins to be able to swim with ease.

A nervous habit- sort of like us with nail biting. They are stressed and upset.. sometimes when being shipped from a breeder, a betta will start fin biting while in the process of being shipped. Same could happen when they are placed and shipped in a small cup to the stores.

From a breeder's jar, to a cup, to a tank- their muscles aren't built up a whole lot, they aren't used to swimming as much.. they will bite off their fins to ease swimming.

Some are overly aggressive and will bite their fins when they get hyped up, such as seeing another betta, or a mirror.. will turn in circles biting their fins.

Some say they get bored- but fish don't get bored in the sense like we do.. they can't feel the same emotions we do. That is just placing our human emotions onto them- but if the tank is very sparse, nothing to swim through or hide in, some will bite.. but I honestly think there is something else causing it then "boredom".

Since you got him that way I would say he was stressed through the shipping process and being in the cup.. or he was used by a breeder for a spawn then sold (which is common as most of the time breeders will sell them after using them for mass production) and a female caused the fin damage.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #9 
Tailorrr

Wow.. my poor guy.. well i hope he gets better.. he seems to like the tank.. exploring more.. he has his own little corner.. i got him some dried oak leaves and put them in there and he just hands out.. he is very curious.. and he seems to be in good health other then the fins.. should i put him in a smaller tank untill he gets better or is he fin in the 29 gallon?
Old 11-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #10 
LittleBettas

Yup, tail biting, my roundtail, Flagg, does it, honestly if he just keeps it trimmed, like Flagg does, then I suspect its just to heavy.... my other male King is a nervous tail biter though, he will bite till there is nothing left (if he is near my male Hercules or if my dog stares at him to much)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote