betta fish

Old 11-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #1 
colorpuff

betta very sick please help

he became lethargic and stopped eating about a week ago
so i got a heater to maintain warm temperatures now that summer is over
Then I noticed one of his fins has signs of fin rot
so I did a full water change 3 days ago and added uniodized sea salt this time
And then yesterday i purchased "Betta Revive" and followed the instructions and he was appearing better, he even swam to the surface and attempted at a bloodworm.
He occasionaly goes to the surface and then will kind of "fall" back to the bottom like he is weak.

Today, he is laying on his side, and his eyes are fuzzy/white, what I have concluded is fungus. He seems way worse. So I immediately put him in a new container with temperature-matched water with stress coat, proper dose of Betta revive, and the salt. I was worried that the fungus persisted in his aquarium through the rocks and plants so I thought to get him out of there.

I don't know where to go from here. The appearance of his eyes looks like he's close to dying.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gal, though right now he is in a small container
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, i use it on and off (a few hours a day) as its rather strong one for his size of tank.
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Just a moss ball, a tall plant, and fern like plant.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freeze dried bloodworms, freeze dried brine shrimp. We have tried flakes and pellets with no success.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Typically 1-2 times daily with occasional fasting days. However, he hasn't eaten in over a week, besides one successful bite of bloodworms yesterday.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? full change once a month, and partial changing weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? about 30% when its a partial change
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat, and I just started with aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite:0-0.5
Nitrate:0-20
pH:6.2-6.8
Hardness:0-25
Alkalinity: 0-40

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fin rot, eyes fuzzy white
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? laying on side, bottom of tank, hasn't eaten. he some times darts around at the surface but not scratching himself
When did you start noticing the symptoms? over a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? answered above
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? got him little over a year ago from pet store

please help asap :(

Last edited by colorpuff; 11-27-2011 at 10:01 PM.
colorpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

freeze dried food can cause a lot of health issues and does not contain as much beneficial stuff as it is dehydrated, if you can, try to get either live blooworms/brine shrimp, or try to get some mosquito larva, soaking pellets in garlic juice can help get an appetite going and are also beneficial again parasites.... and I have had a betta who got picky (wanted nothing other than ML) so he went a few days with just pellets being offered before he gave in... varied diet is key

If you can, get some Aquarium salt and mix 2 tsps per gallon of water, keep him in a beta cup with daily (or every other day) water changes in a quiet dark space, that will help with the fin rot

Can you get some pics up?
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #3 
colorpuff

I'm having hard time getting a picture of his eyes to post.
It looks like they have a white fuzzy/cottony film around them
And he's laying very still on his side

I was about to go buy a small tank to use that I can put a heater in. My concern with a small betta cup & the container he's in right now is that it's dropping to 74 degrees without a heater.
I have been using 1 tsp per 2.5 gal of aquarium salt. You recommend I use more than that in his sick tank?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

You can float a betta cup (or a plastic container) in the larger heated tank
If after a wek 1 tsp per gallon hasnt worked or with severe cases, I use 2 tsps per gallon with extra API water condition + stress coat (or wht ever brand you have that helps ith slime coats and fin growth)

As for the fuzzy cotton film:

The only thing I can think of is:

True Fungal Infections
•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.

Body Slime Infection
•Symptoms: Your betta is covered in a white film. It may just be in a few areas and may rise of the skin a bit. Lethargy, clamped, loss of apetite, may have cloudy eyes.
•Treatment: Body Slime infections or Slime Coat Sloughing are due to bacterial infections. Perform daily 100% water changes. Use 1tsp/gal Aq.Salt for up to 10 days. If that does not work then use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Jungle’s Lifeguard.

Thats the only thin I can think of.... you can try to contact Old Fish Lady or another more experianced member, most of my experince is wth starved bettas, bad fin rot, SBD, internal prasites, or ammonia burns :/
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #5 
colorpuff

I lost him :(
Thanks for helping, I appreciated your quick response.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #6 
LittleBettas

Im so sorry :(