Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #21 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlack2010 View Post
i'm having problems getting my female to eat too, my male VT she's with right now is a bully and i'm gonna move her probably this weekend in hopes that my other male is more docile. He's not bulling her persay but he gobbels up her food. I started trying to target feed her today with a pair of long tweezers and a terra cotta saucer and it went alright. She ate one pellet before Rebel saw what we were doing and came down and gobbled them up - i even poked the brat with my finger and pushed him away and he just bit me and continued to eat the food... gonna try targeting with blood worms tomorrow in hopes she'll eat those better

If you want to try splitting them up, i would cup the male, and target feed her for a while, just to get her used to the process, and then she will eat much quicker in the future. It may also teach him that it is not okay to eat her food.
Gizmothefreaky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #22 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
lol, that is completely false! ADFs rarely get more than two inches long.

What you are thinking of are ACFs, or African CLAWED frogs. They get big enough to eat good sized goldfish.
Thank you, I was confused because i know they don't get that big. lol
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #23 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
If you want to try splitting them up, i would cup the male, and target feed her for a while, just to get her used to the process, and then she will eat much quicker in the future. It may also teach him that it is not okay to eat her food.
that's a good idea, i'm gonna try that tonight!
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #24 
dramaqueen
Banned

Can you put 2 frogs in a 3 gallon? I've been thinking of getting a couple of ADF's sometime. I have a 3 gallon tank. Also, do I have to have gravel?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #25 
downerbeautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Can you put 2 frogs in a 3 gallon? I've been thinking of getting a couple of ADF's sometime. I have a 3 gallon tank. Also, do I have to have gravel?
The frogs love to dig, so some kind of substrate is nice. If you do use substrate, either use something fine like sand or larger like gravel. The frogs can/will eat small substrate which can clog their digestive track. The sand will pass and the gravel is too large to eat.
downerbeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #26 
BettaMiah

DQ- I think 2 males MIGHT be okay. I give males 2 gallons each, females 3. So you're just a gallon short...

Maybe the frog and something else? Like a Betta? Thats what I have.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

I won't ever put anything else with my bettas. I just wanted a tank with 2 or 3 frogs. Also, how do you tell males from females?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #28 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I won't ever put anything else with my bettas. I just wanted a tank with 2 or 3 frogs. Also, how do you tell males from females?
The easy way to tell the difference is size since females get much bigger than males. Another way to tell is the gland male frogs have by their arm pit. I don't think anyone knows what it's for, but I think the most common guess is the gland attracts females or something.

If worse comes to worse and you have two or three frogs of mixed gender together, one frog will give another frog a "hug". The frog doing the "hugging" is male and the frog being "hugged" is female. I would suggest looking for the arm pit gland since waiting this gender clue is where baby frogs come from.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #29 
FuulieQ

Males have a certain body shape compared to females. Also, when they are mature, males will sing loudly, develop glands in their armpits, and get these really funny muscle-y arms. I've heard looking at the tail isn't always a surefire sexing trick, most of the sites I've seen say you only really know when the boys start displaying their behavior - I've even heard of females getting "glands" for a while before deciding they wanted to be girls for sure. :P Not sure how true that is but I wouldn't be surprised.

My female is more oval/rounded than my male, and also a great deal bigger. Their two female offspring are the same as their mother, although they got their dad's coloration. :) Girls are often better hunters than males. My girls are so piggy, I have to hand-feed all the time just to make sure my male gets food! They miss enough that there's usually stuff for them to forage left over.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #30 
BettaMiah

Also, males sing.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote