Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #1 
yumekon

Signs of boredum?

Hey just wondering, what are some of the classic signs of betta boredum?

Also, what are some ways to keep my little guy entertained?!!?!?
yumekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:28 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Pacing the glass and tail biting are two of the biggest indicators of boredom. However, sometimes if a betta has a lack of mental stimulation, it will just sit in one spot not doing very much at all.

Providing a well-planted or densely decorated tank will encourage your betta to spend a lot of time paroling and exploring its territory. Also, moving the tank into an active area of the house is a great way to provide some stimulation. I have one of my bettas in the kitchen and he enjoys watching everyone going about their business.

You can try doing a couple of flaring sessions with a mirror (around 5 minutes is a good length of time), which should stimulate your betta's territorial instincts. Some people use toys such as plastic lids or ping pong balls in their betta tanks, but none of mine have ever shown much interest in anything like that.

These are just a few ideas. I'm sure other people have more.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:27 AM   #3 
Edifiler

ooh ._. my bettas been pacing the tank for a day now ._. he hasn't started tail bitting though so thats good ._. i keep mine entertained by plopping a plastic container in every now and then and he'll go check it out :D
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:55 AM   #4 
Moclam

Get some ping pong balls! My lads go crazy with 'em. Also, plastic horses outside the tank, and other plastic animals from time to time. Slightly odd, but they love it.
Moclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #5 
Edifiler

haha i'll be sure to drop one in once in a while but not anytime soon though ._. he had a nasty face off with his nemesis, the glass wall and lost a few scales on his head ._.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #6 
Myates

I wouldn't consider pacing as a sign, as they don't pace... they just swim around. Some just have preferred routes.

Luckily, they don't get "bored" in the terms that we know it as- as they are fish and their minds don't work that way. It's if the tank is bare then they will hang around more then swim, if it's got a good amount of decorations, or if they have a neighbor, they will swim around often. Unsure about their memory span.. I remember a goldfish's memory span is only 3 minutes.
Having things for them to do is always good, but don't worry or stress out thinking they will be "bored" as they literally can't comprehend and establish boredom in our sense. There is just either places to explore, or not and they react to that, the surroundings, rather then what there is for them "to do".
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #7 
Edifiler

i have a feeling that my fish tank reflects much similar to a mirror ._. perhaps his looking for company :P
Old 11-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #8 
Myates

Possibly.. especially if the light is on in the tank and the room is darker. But swimming against the side of a tank is normal for fish.. they want to get out and "swim" around the rest of the room :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #9 
valleyankee

Every now and then i play a game of checkers with my betta.
valleyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #10 
Mars788

Three words - Dry erase markers :) I saw that someone had posted about them a couple weeks ago and had to try it out. Take a darker colored marker and put it up to the side of the tank/bowl/betta habitat. Start drawing. Mine likes chasing the tip of the marker and flaring up at it. haha
Mars788 is offline   Reply With Quote