Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

switching a tank from gravel to sand substrate??

so in my most recent tank i have sand substrate and i am just loving it! i'm considering switching over my 10g to sand. I'm tryingt to figure out the best way to do it, if there really is a good way. this is my plan so far:

-it has a female and 4 corries in it so i'll have to cup them
-dump 50% of the water and keep the other 50% in a clean bucket
-Scoop out all the gravel using my hand or a towel to get the stray pieces out (if there are a few pieces of gravel mixed in my sand i don't care that much
-pour the sand in
-replace the 50% of the water i kept and return the decour
-fill the rest up with new treated water (my main reason for doing this is because i don't think i have enough clean containers to keep 10g of water >.<
- float my fishies for 15-20 minutes and return them to their home

would doing this kill my cycle or do you think that the way i'm performing it should be ok? any other suggestions?? If this is just a stupid idea let me know and i'll let it go, lol
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #2 
Anitax3x

I think if your tank is filtered, the cycle should be fine because the bacteria live in the filter, on the decor, gravel etc. I've heard of taking some of the gravel in the cycled tank, putting it in a stocking and sitting it in the tank for a couple days to help spread the bacteria in the new substrate without mixing the two. (very interesting idea idk if it works though)
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

Please... take out 50% of your water into a backet and put the gravel and decorations in that. Set aside. Clean out the rest of the tank, add your sand, water, and then put the gravel in panty hose (tied) and place it at the bottom of your tank for 2 weeks once you fill it. Do not let the gravel dry out.

When your tank has no water, all the bacteria on the walls dies. When you remove the gravel, a large chunk of your bacteria is gone. You need to keep the gravel in there for 2 weeks to give your sand enough time to build up bacteria and your walls.

It's also good to do this as you can use the gravel to start up another tank, I leave mine in the established tank for this reason, just hidden behind plants!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #4 
ManInBlack2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Please... take out 50% of your water into a backet and put the gravel and decorations in that. Set aside. Clean out the rest of the tank, add your sand, water, and then put the gravel in panty hose (tied) and place it at the bottom of your tank for 2 weeks once you fill it. Do not let the gravel dry out.

When your tank has no water, all the bacteria on the walls dies. When you remove the gravel, a large chunk of your bacteria is gone. You need to keep the gravel in there for 2 weeks to give your sand enough time to build up bacteria and your walls.

It's also good to do this as you can use the gravel to start up another tank, I leave mine in the established tank for this reason, just hidden behind plants!
definately will do! keeping the gravel back there isn't a bad idea, especially since i'm thinking about starting another tank after christmas :D

thanks for your help guys!
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote