Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: What tank size do you keep your bettas in?
Unfiltered 1 gallon or under 6 10.34%
Filtered 1 gallon or under 1 1.72%
2 - 2.5 gallon 25 43.10%
3 gallon 7 12.07%
4 gallon 1 1.72%
5 gallon 12 20.69%
6 gallon 1 1.72%
7-8 gallon 2 3.45%
9-10 gallon 2 3.45%
Over 10 gallons 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #21 
BettaBuddy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailTwitchy57 View Post
My girl is in a 2 gal, and my little brothers is in a 1 gal, both unfiltered. But I do weekly water changes, and I try to keep the temps to at least 72 degrees. I can't have big tanks, because I have no filter and I am not strong enough to lift the tank to do water changes. 

Wouldn't more regular + larger water changes be better in tanks so small? Filters aren't a lot of money though, so I really would recommend you get one, particularly for the 1G as soon as you can. I can understand with the lifting the tank with the weight (I'm the same) but how come you have to lift the tanks?
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #22 
CrowntailTwitchy57

i have to lift them to dump the water in the sinks, thats the only way i can get the water out
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #23 
bastage

I Voted 2-2.5..

I have 1 in a 2 gallon hex & he seems to love it. he is active, comes & says hi when I approach the tank & eats well. Also though I keep the temp a hair above 80 degrees & there is a filter with a decent amount of flow. I have seen him hit the fastest part of the flow & spend a few minutes just swimming against it like a person on a treadmill.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #24 
Zappity

I keep my boy in a 2.5 gal, though I'd love to get him something bigger. My Mom says there's no room, which is pretty true. xP So he's content in his very heavily planted 2.5gal x]
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #25 
BettaBuddy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailTwitchy57 View Post
i have to lift them to dump the water in the sinks, thats the only way i can get the water out
Have you tried using. A gravel cleaner/siphon to suck the water out? Should make it much easier for you :)
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #26 
upngo

5g is minimum. My 5g is too small already so I could not imaging having it in a smaller tank
upngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #27 
Thunderloon

As an experiment I used a sponge filter and a water-loop from a larger tank and was able to cycle a 16oz pop bottle, I had five small guppies in it without a problem for almost two months. It just became a hassle and water changes were kinda brutal on the fish.

Cycling bacteria need DARKNESS to grow. If you have dark, you got the job done.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #28 
Draug Isilme

I voted for 5, but that's because of what it was asking, and I currently upgrade to a 5g. Otherwise, it definitely depends on what you're going to do- if you're breeding, then something smaller isn't all that bad as it's temporary and those bettas (hopefully) go to good homes afterwards and (hopefully) go into tanks that are bigger than what they were being kept in... but otherwise, if you're keeping the fish as a pet and not breeding, then I'd say the minimum is a 1.5g. Simply because it's slightly under the inch per gal rule, but it's still just as doable so long as the owner take responsibility and makes the necessary water changes (and in an area where it doesn't get too cold or the house temperature stays at a constant where the 1.5g is at a good temperature. Otherwise 2g since it's easier to heat xD)- so long as this is being followed I find this in no way cruel because ther are worse homes for bettas and they're usually in bad conditions... The fish still has enough room to exercise, the water quality is being taken care of, and the fish also gets a loving owner in the process.

Edit: Oh, and having something small for quarantine is nice as you have to make daily changes when treating your fish for ailments. It is only temporary, but to me it still counts as it's probably going to get used at some point. I still keep my 1.5g around for emergencies like this- Also, the main reason why I say 1.5 is because I feel that 1g is a bit too small. I try to follow the inch per gal rule as much as I can, and while I feel somewhat comfortable cutting the rule in half, anything more is just too much for me..

Last edited by Draug Isilme; 12-02-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #29 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

I like keeping 2 bettas in a divided 10 gal. Since picking up the hobby again I realize it is almost impossible to stop at 1; two seems to be a nice medium. Ideally I'd love to have 4 in a divided 20 gal long, but 10 gals are easier to spread around the house. When I had just one a few years ago I kept him in a 5 gal, and to me that seems like the smallest size one should keep a betta in. But before anyone says anything, I like keeping fish in larger than normally suggested tanks.

--Izzy
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #30 
Moclam

I like to use 1 to 2.5 sized tanks. Easier for me to maintane, and my fish seem happier. However I am trying out a 5 gallon with my boy. He doesn't seem to like it much, though. Just hangs out in a corner, swimmin' about.
Moclam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, betta tank, minimum tank size, poll, tank size