Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #1 
ZackyBear

Talking BettaBettaBetta!

Hiya~! I just discovered this sight....today! When I was younger I had a betta, but I only knew the basics in order to keep it alive. Now that I'm older I've recently began to look at them differently. Especially after my roommate bought her daughter this GORGEOUS aquamarine/silver male.

And then I wanted to breed him after I did some more research after realizing the many different colors there were!

We named him Pearl, and we got another male named Bug but we're having a few issues with him but now that he's eating he's fine. (He's a picky eater!!) I can't find any female bettas where I live. I live near the Arlington Highlands, too!!! I've checked all 4 wal-marts, Petsmart, and Petco but still no females. There aren't even local breeders from what I can tell. I might just have to order a few, soon but I don't want to stress the fishies!

One day I hope to be able to breed a betta with sort of an orange/black coloring. And I LOVE half-moon tails so it HAS to be that and the colors! But I am not going to start ANYTHING unless I've done some studying. I would hate to have any small baby fish suffer due to my own idiocy!

So for now I'm reading everything I can about breeding, but I've also come a few questions myself like : Not counting conditioning time, how long should you wait before breeding a pair again?

P.S - I'll have to get a picture of Pearl. He's so beautiful I could give him a kiss!
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

Hey, we're from the same place! :) Females are hard to come by here, I've seen a few at the petsmart near six flags, but they are usually gone pretty quickly. Try asking an employee when they get their betta shipments so you can be there to see them before they get bought up! :D

Good luck! :) Please get a picture of Pearl, he sounds lovely!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

What Purpemuffin said
LOL
If you ask some local petshop emplyees, most will hold a female for you or call you when they arrive..... but most Walmarts are no longer selling females (or i they are its by request)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #4 
ZackyBear

Last night I got a few quick shots of Pearl and Bug. They're not very good (since I only have a cell camera).

Bug is in a temporary vase until I can get another 10gal tank. My other was LEAKING! And I didn't discover it until this morning! My roommate put the filter in there, but I took it out and gave it to Pearl (since whenever she kicked it on he would try and chase the bubbles!).Pearl has a small tank to himself. Sadly when I used a divider to try and put Bug in, poor Bug refused to eat! He'll eat in the vase, so it's fine until I get their new tank set up tonight.

(Pearl's pictures are blurry because he never....sits...STILL!!!

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/u...et_120073_.jpg

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/u...et_120072_.jpg
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/u...et_120069_.jpg
Pearl~!

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/u...et_120070_.jpg
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/u...et_120071_.jpg
And this is Bug~ My roommate's daughter named him.

Also, I never knew that!! I'll have to stop by this weekend to ask!!!

Last edited by ZackyBear; 12-02-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: How rude of me to forget to respond to my fellow texans!
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Well welcome to the forums :) Sounds like you have become bitten by the betta bug :p I will agree, that even when I did a heck load of research, I had so much problems, and it is a lot of work to breed. You should get some live foods, while doing research. I got microworms, in a healthy culture ready for any spawn I do next - which is going to be with my golden betta. Live foods will help so much, along with feeding a few times a day... lol You have the work set out for ya!!

And your betta sound wonderful!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote