Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #1 
katie592

Bowls v. Aquarium

Hi everyone,

I need opinions. I bought a new male crownfish Sunday, and bought him a small 1gal bowl. Wednesday, the tips of his fins started turning white and fuzzy, and it looked like they were falling off. I started a thread in diseases and it was suggested that he had fin rot, so Thursday I completely cleaned the water and he started to look much better almost immediately. Today (Friday), it looks like the white is coming back again.

Is this because of his small environment? I was told that bowls were fine for bettas, but he's turned out to be a really great fish and I want to make sure he gets through this. Should I buy a filtered aquarium? Will it make a big difference?
katie592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:19 AM   #2 
Moclam

How often do you do water changes? 1 gallons are fine if you keep the water nice and clean, IMO. But, you could very well upgrade to perhaps a 2.5. Is this you're first Betta?
Moclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #3 
Kytkattin

Size is not nearly as important as water quality. Heat and clean water are the most important things for a better. He has probably been kept in very poor care before you bought him, so it is going to take a bit of work for your to make him better. Daily water changes in the 1 gallon will be needed until he is better.

I personally prefer tanks that are 2.5 and bigger. Anything that is 5 gallons or more can be cycled, which is the least maintenance in the long run because you would only have to do 1 change a week.

Unfortunately, most petstore employees know little to nothing about the proper care of bettas. :(
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:17 AM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie592 View Post
I bought a new male crownfish
O_O crown fish (close cousin to the clown fish)!! .. are saltwater fish ..

or do u mean crown tail betta?

me confuzzled

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 12-03-2011 at 05:24 AM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Isn't fin rot supposed to be black, not white and fuzzy?

I dont think it would make a difference if its a 1 gallon or a 5 gallon as long as water matience is kept up.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #6 
Laki

If it IS a crowntail betta (and not a crown fish) then just increase water changes. Change the water 100% every day. This might stress him out, so be careful. If you notice lines forming on his body then take it easy. Float him in a baggie of the old water before releasing him in the new water for about 15 minutes. Add some chlorine remover (top fin and stress coat are popular brands) Pics would be great :D
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #7 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie592 View Post
Hi everyone,

I need opinions. I bought a new male crownfish Sunday, and bought him a small 1gal bowl. Wednesday, the tips of his fins started turning white and fuzzy, and it looked like they were falling off. I started a thread in diseases and it was suggested that he had fin rot, so Thursday I completely cleaned the water and he started to look much better almost immediately. Today (Friday), it looks like the white is coming back again.

Is this because of his small environment? I was told that bowls were fine for bettas, but he's turned out to be a really great fish and I want to make sure he gets through this. Should I buy a filtered aquarium? Will it make a big difference?
Fin rot occurs due to water quality, along with damage to their fins, whether a small rip or a bite taken out of it (could of had it prior to you bringing him home).
A one gallon is fine, but you have to take into consideration, in an unfiltered 1 gallon the recommended water changes are 1 50% and 1 100% per week, along with water conditioner. You can't go based off how the water looks- as the most deadly of water conditions are invisible. You will also need to find a way to heat it to keep it at a steady temp. They are tropical and do better in 76-82*F, without any temp fluctuations- which could be harmful/deadly. Smaller bowls can be hard to heat as finding a good heater that won't over heat, or under heat can be tricky.

For fin rot, I would go ahead and use 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon; pre-dissolved prior to putting your guy in it, along with water conditioner and daily 100% water changes. You can try to do just daily 50% water changes for a week to see if that will clear it up if you wish. If neither of those work, you can look for a fungus medication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Isn't fin rot supposed to be black, not white and fuzzy?

I dont think it would make a difference if its a 1 gallon or a 5 gallon as long as water matience is kept up.
There are two types of fin rot- the most common is the bacterial one, which is black on the edges, can be crusty looking, and flaking off.
The other is a fungus form- which is what the OP described. Usually it eats away at the fins in a more even fashion, but still eats away the fins to the body just the same- in time can be deadly if not taken care of. Columnaris also can look like it at the very very early stages, but since it disappeared and returned, it seems to point more towards the fungal fin rot.

I personally use 1-2 gals for all of mine, but I'm willing to do the extra water changes since they are unfiltered. One gallons can be a good home with the proper water changes, proper heating and if they have enough plants to hide in, and if you can, a cave of sorts. I can't always find a cave I like, so the ones without a store-bought cave I use cups or larger quartz rocks I set up to work as a cave. So really, it's not a bad size as long as it's taken care of properly and it's a clean, warm enviroment.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #8 
katie592

Hi everyone,

Sorry about that, he is a crowntail, not a crown fish... I really love this fish and have been super stressed out about his fins. I've been doing water changes and it seems better for a few hours and then comes back. I have had bettas before but have never had any issues with their health. This has been persisting for about 5 days now... time for meds?
katie592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #9 
Laki

Try the aq salt that people mentioned above. Make sure it is aquarium salt and that you use it for no more than 10 days.
Try to keep the water warm- about 78-80F and feed him a high protein food like frozen bloodworms (Not freeze dried) or fruit flies or something.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, bowl, fin rot, new betta