Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #1 
Jorjor2

Hydor Mini Heater doesnt heat past room temp

I've had it plugged in for 3 days and it doesn't seem to heat the water at all, anyone else have this problem? I feel heat coming from it when I hold it but it hasn't done anything to the water temp. Idk if there's too much water or what( I have an XL critter keeper that's 3/4 full. I'm pretty sure this is the 7 watt.
Jorjor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #2 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorjor2 View Post
I've had it plugged in for 3 days and it doesn't seem to heat the water at all, anyone else have this problem? I feel heat coming from it when I hold it but it hasn't done anything to the water temp. Idk if there's too much water or what( I have an XL critter keeper that's 3/4 full. I'm pretty sure this is the 7 watt.
either your heater is broken or the wattage is too little for th KK. how many gallons does the XL critter keeper hold? there probably is a rating for water heating capacity somewhere on the package.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #3 
Silverfang

My guess is the Wattage is too low. The general rule of thumb is 5W per gallon. I have a theo hydor 25W heater and it works great. It's in a 2.5 gal and keeping it within 1 degree of 80
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #4 
SnowySurface

I used a mini hydor in my 1 gallon set up with good results. I'm currently using a 25W tetra heater in my 5 gallon tank with such bad results. I added the hydor mini to the tank to help out the tetra heater until my new heater arrives in the mail. So if you want to discuss heater fails, you've found the right member. I am officially swearing off preset heaters because of this super fun winter experience. :3

Since you say the heater is warm to the touch it is working. The hydor mini works best in 1-2 gallons, but can hold its own in a 3 gallon in warmer climates. I think you are using the wrong size heater for your tank. Krys posted a summary of volumes in an earlier thread, so I'm going to shamelessly copy and paste his math below. XD

PETCO BRAND - PET KEEPERS
==========================
LARGE 14.5" L X 8.75" W X 9.75" H ------------------------- 4.8059 U.S. gallons
MEDIUM 11.75" L X 7.75" W X 8" H ---------------------------- 2.7595 U.S. gallons

LEE'S KRITTER KEEPERS
RECTANGLE XL 15.9 x 9.4 x 12.5 inches ---------------------------- 7.4406 U.S. gallons
RECTANGLE L 14.5 x 8.8 x 9.6 inches ------------------------------ 4.7505 U.S. gallons
RECTANGLE M 11.9 x 7.8 x 8.1 inches ------------------------------ 2.8529 U.S. gallons
ROUND L 10.2 x 11.2 inches ----------------------------------------- 3.6081 U.S. gallons

I don't know your brand, But I will guess your tank is somewhere between 5-7 gallons. That is a bit too much water for a mini hydor heater to handle even if it's only 3/4 filled (3.75-5.25 gallons). I think the box says it can handle 5 gallons, but that doesn't happen unless you have a warm home 24/7. However, pre-set heaters all have the same flaw. When calibrated at the factory, the heater is set to raise the temp of a tank by 4-5 degrees in a 76 degree room. If your fish room is 74 degrees or lower, your tank will never reach 78 degrees. :(

If your tank water is 74-76 degrees when unheated, then I would suggest a 25W pre-set heater. If you are as lucky as me and your tank water is as low as 68-72 degrees when unheated, then you need an adjustable 25W heater for 3-5 gallons. Pre-set heaters are not designed to function properly in a rooms below room temperature.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #5 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
I used a mini hydor in my 1 gallon set up with good results. I'm currently using a 25W tetra heater in my 5 gallon tank with such bad results. I added the hydor mini to the tank to help out the tetra heater until my new heater arrives in the mail. So if you want to discuss heater fails, you've found the right member. I am officially swearing off preset heaters because of this super fun winter experience. :3

Since you say the heater is warm to the touch it is working. The hydor mini works best in 1-2 gallons, but can hold its own in a 3 gallon in warmer climates. I think you are using the wrong size heater for your tank. Krys posted a summary of volumes in an earlier thread, so I'm going to shamelessly copy and paste his math below. XD

PETCO BRAND - PET KEEPERS
LARGE 14.5" L X 8.75" W X 9.75" H ------------------------- 4.8059 U.S. gallons
MEDIUM 11.75" L X 7.75" W X 8" H ---------------------------- 2.7595 U.S. gallons

LEE'S KRITTER KEEPERS
RECTANGLE XL 15.9 x 9.4 x 12.5 inches ---------------------------- 7.4406 U.S. gallons
RECTANGLE L 14.5 x 8.8 x 9.6 inches ------------------------------ 4.7505 U.S. gallons
RECTANGLE M 11.9 x 7.8 x 8.1 inches ------------------------------ 2.8529 U.S. gallons
ROUND L 10.2 x 11.2 inches ----------------------------------------- 3.6081 U.S. gallons

I don't know your brand, But I will guess your tank is somewhere between 5-7 gallons. That is a bit too much water for a mini hydor heater to handle even if it's only 3/4 filled (3.75-5.25 gallons). I think the box says it can handle 5 gallons, but that doesn't happen unless you have a warm home 24/7. However, pre-set heaters all have the same flaw. When calibrated at the factory, the heater is set to raise the temp of a tank by 4-5 degrees in a 76 degree room. If your fish room is 74 degrees or lower, your tank will never reach 78 degrees. :(

If your tank water is 74-76 degrees when unheated, then I would suggest a 25W pre-set heater. If you are as lucky as me and your tank water is as low as 68-72 degrees when unheated, then you need an adjustable 25W heater for 3-5 gallons. Pre-set heaters are not designed to function properly in a rooms below room temperature.
thank you for copying Krys's KK volume capacities, i was looking around for that. i was thinking of getting one as a QT or a impromtu tank in case i ever needed one.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #6 
EvilVOG

the little preset heaters presume your house is around 74 and will raise the temp a few degrees above that. the little one i have was great at keeping my 3 gallon at 80 ish, till i moved it into a cabinet above another aquarium + it's intense light, now it's too hot and i had to unplug it. Lesson learned. Next time adjustable heater...

also water is a good conductor of heat so altho your house may be 74, closer to an exterior wall can be much colder, and an aquarium will lose that heat more dramatically that the house air will.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote