Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2011, 02:31 AM   #1 
Roxy

Does Betta ' Sleep ' ?

I just got him some sort of aquarium wood today ( petco didn't specify what type of wood it is ) and for some reason, my betta likes to get in between the wood and ' sleeps ' there. Is that normal?

Excuse my silly question... I'm pretty much a new betta owner. XD
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:08 AM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

hi =)

and welcome to the forums .. and your betta is soo pretty !!

yep it's normal =D .. as long as he's not wedging himself in there so that he gets stuck it's fine for him to nap there
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #3 
Myates

Yup! He just needed somewhere to hide in, as most bettas do. A couple of mine LOVE their caves and cups and will be in them on and off throughout the day and "sleep" (their rest stage) in them at night.
Bettas prefer a fuller tank with plants and decorations over sparse and empty tanks- males especially love a cave of sorts to hide in. With so little in a tank, there is no mental stimulation for them and that, in turn, can cause some problems.

Beautiful guy you have there.. nice big tank, but I highly recommend putting in some medium to tall plants in there (silk or live) so that he has something to do and explore. One of the possible reasons large finned ones such as one you have start to tail bite, is from lack of much in their tank. So just thought I'd throw out a suggestion, to make him happier and feel more secure :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #4 
Rosso1011

That is very normal and healthy. Bettas should have some sort of hiding/resting spot. Also looks like you've done your research into betta food. That's a very pretty betta you have. Hope to hear more from you.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #5 
Roxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Bettas prefer a fuller tank with plants and decorations over sparse and empty tanks - males especially love a cave of sorts to hide in. With so little in a tank, there is no mental stimulation for them and that, in turn, can cause some problems.

I highly recommend putting in some medium to tall plants in there (silk or live) so that he has something to do and explore. One of the possible reasons large finned ones such as one you have start to tail bite, is from lack of much in their tank. So just thought I'd throw out a suggestion, to make him happier and feel more secure :)
Alrighty ^_^ Thanks for your advice! I'll buy more plants later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
hi =)

and welcome to the forums .. and your betta is soo pretty !!

yep it's normal =D .. as long as he's not wedging himself in there so that he gets stuck it's fine for him to nap there
Thanks! phew I'm glad it's normal o_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
That is very normal and healthy. Bettas should have some sort of hiding/resting spot. Also looks like you've done your research into betta food. That's a very pretty betta you have. Hope to hear more from you.
Thank you :)
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote