Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #1 
tyler93

Well, if it's a one gallon tank he can't really move around much so he wont look happy, if you got a 10 gallon tank, you would probably see different results.
tyler93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:20 PM   #2 
rickygirl00

my betta fish(dopey) already looks depresed!

Helloooo!
5 days ago i got my very first fish. I purchased a betta fish starter kit whic came comlete with a plant, rcks, a tank, food and water cleaning stuff.

when i first let him into his new home he seemed okay with it, but now he seems very depressed almost, he is just sitting in one spot all the time.
Also, it doesn't really look like he is eating. I decide t change his water as to it has been gettting verrry dirty. When i went to change his water it wasn't really warm it was kind aof cold but not freezing, could that be it? I thought betta fish could survive withot heaters?? ohh dear, please help!!
rickygirl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:21 PM   #3 
Cody

Re: my betta fish(dopey) already looks depresed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygirl00
Helloooo!
5 days ago i got my very first fish. I purchased a betta fish starter kit whic came comlete with a plant, rcks, a tank, food and water cleaning stuff.

when i first let him into his new home he seemed okay with it, but now he seems very depressed almost, he is just sitting in one spot all the time.
Also, it doesn't really look like he is eating. I decide t change his water as to it has been gettting verrry dirty. When i went to change his water it wasn't really warm it was kind aof cold but not freezing, could that be it? I thought betta fish could survive withot heaters?? ohh dear, please help!!
This is what has happened to my last two bettas.

My first betta lived for 3.5 years in a covered 2-3 gallon tank.

My second lived for like 4 days. It was in an open bowl. I late figured out the water was too cold, and that is why he died.

Now, I have my third one. I kept him in the bowl for a few hours, but then he became very sluggish (at the pet store, he was very energetic). I then realized how cold the water was, and then decided to move him into my community tank. Now, he is doing fine.

Your problem is the cold water. You will probably need to buy a new tank with a light and/or heater. Make sure it has a cover on the top too.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #4 
rickygirl00

okay well i guess i could try that. however he doesnt ven seem to be using the space he has, and his fins ae all very wilted like he is too tired to usethem or something
rickygirl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:09 AM   #5 
Falina

Bettas ned heaters in most situations. If your room temp is in the high 70s he wn't need a heater, but this would be quite uncomfortable for us to sit in that temp all the time so room temp is usually much less.

Did you cycle the tank? Bad water quality can be the problem as well.

It's already been mentioned that he would appreciate a bigger tank. I would recommend 5g minimum.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote